Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321427 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #780 on: July 22, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
Just ran into this on facebook.  Any thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156123024151329&set=pcb.1526313487470912&type=3&theater&ifg=1

I’m sorry Northwoods, but I don’t have a Facebook account.  When I click on the link, I’m asked if I’d like to join the website.  Consequently, I can’t see the content associated with the link you posted.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #781 on: July 23, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
Hello, Jim. Nice find, rare do you see one of those in the original box, and un-assembled too!! Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:55:27 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline p_toad

« Reply #782 on: July 23, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »
"Hi Peter,

Thanks for keeping up with the thread.  I am familiar with being conferred a “you suck” by another member of the web site, so I take that as a compliment.  On the other hand, if you consider what I foolishly paid for the first #289, you’d say I sucked for totally opposite reasons.  I really did suck in a bad way.  Like I said, things have a way of equaling out in the end.

Jim C."

Well, i think it's great you not only have it, but appreciate it for what it is.   Hate to see something like that on a wall in an eatery.    :angry:

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #783 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
Thanks Lou and Peter!  I’m glad you’re both following the thread.  That’s one of those tools that collectors are always looking for.  It was just plain dumb luck that I came across it.  Not that I’ve seen too many eighty year old planes in literally factory original condition, but it’s my guess that prior to receiving it, the plane had never been out of the box since it left the factory.  It certainly was never used.  After I received it, I carefully took it out of the box, assembled it, looked it over closely, disassembled it and put it back in the box.  It hasn’t been out of the box and reassembled again until I wrote the post above.  I can’t imagine when it will see the light of day again.  Who knows? 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:23:07 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #784 on: July 24, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
Thanks Lou and Peter!  I’m glad you’re both following the thread.  That’s one of those tools that collectors are always looking for.  It was just plain dumb luck that I came across it.  Not that I’ve seen too many eighty year old planes in literally factory original condition, but it’s my guess that prior to receiving it, the plane had never been out of the box since it left the factory.  It certainly was never used.  After I received it, I carefully took it out of the box, assembled it, looked it over closely, disassembled it and put it back in the box.  It hasn’t been out of the box and reassembled again until I wrote the post above.  I can’t imagine when it will see the light of day again.  Who knows? 

Jim C.

One thing I failed to mention was the precautionary measures I took when I finally did handle the plane for its recent photo shoot.  Around my primary work bench are a series of interlocking thick rubber mats.  I like them because they’re comfortable to stand on for long periods of time, and they add a layer of protection between a dropped tool and the concrete floor.  In this particular instance, I folded one of those heavy blue colored, quilted movers blankets into thirds and put it on top of the rubber mats just to be sure!  I wasn’t taking any chances.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:41:59 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #785 on: July 24, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
Good idea--from one who learned by experience....
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #786 on: July 25, 2018, 06:23:15 AM »
Good idea--from one who learned by experience....

Hey Northwoods,

It doesn’t happen too often, but I have dropped a tool or accidentally knocked one off my bench a few times over the years.  Fortunately none have been collector quality or of a nature that would significantly damage any of them.  More like wrenches, screwdrivers, and such.  Thankfully never a hand plane (knock on wood).  Still, even dinging an every day user wrench because I dropped it, or worse yet, carelessly knocked it off my bench would bug me.  I really try to be good to my tools.  The rubber floor mats are good investment.

Okay, so your post has me wondering what happened.  You said you “learned by experience.”  If you’re referring to a specific incident, I really hope it wasn’t a costly mistake and/or the loss of a rare tool.  If it’s not too painful, and you’d like to share your “experience” with us (even if it’s not hand plane related), we’re all listening. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:22:11 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #787 on: July 25, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
Let's just say that the world has one fewer Stanley #4.

It was of boat anchor quality, though. But it did disgust me.  I gave it away to a friend for parts, so it wasn't a total loss.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #788 on: July 26, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »
Let's just say that the world has one fewer Stanley #4.

It was of boat anchor quality, though. But it did disgust me.  I gave it away to a friend for parts, so it wasn't a total loss.

Hey Northwoods,

I’m sorry to hear that, and thanks for sparing me the gory details.  I guess if you had to break one, the #4 is pretty easy to replace.  Now if it was a family heirloom or something you received as a gift, etc., then it’s priceless.  If it was just something you picked up along the way, well, it is what it is.  At least it wasn’t a #604.

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #789 on: July 26, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
I'm always amazed at how many planes have been dropped, not only the bodies, but the totes really tell the awful story. 

Offline p_toad

« Reply #790 on: July 26, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »
I'm always amazed at how many planes have been dropped, not only the bodies, but the totes really tell the awful story.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #791 on: July 26, 2018, 11:26:44 PM »
Really. 
I bought a Stanley #28 transition a couple of weeks ago.  Was in good shape except for the tote.  It was in 2 pieces--with the horn long gone.  I put it all back together and it looks pretty good.  Better than I thought it would.  I think I exaggerated the horn a bit.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #792 on: July 27, 2018, 11:47:27 AM »
A photo or two of the repair would be great!   :smiley:

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #793 on: July 31, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »
Here are two of the 16 planes I bought at auction a few weeks ago after I cleaned them up.  Top plane in the first picture is a Millers Falls No. 18 and all original, just cleaned up.  The second plane is the Stanley No. 129 with the right side removed (I measured it and 3/8 inch was removed with a stationary planer).  As its nearly worthless except for parts I sanded down the wood and stained it along with painting the metal after I bead blasted the rust away.  The second picture is of the appearance of the blade/curler etc. as appears, its possible someone made a rabbet plane of it.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #794 on: August 01, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
Hey coolford,

Nice looking planes and a very nice job of cleaning them up.  I'm one hundred percent in agreement with you and your analysis of that #129.  It was most definitely altered by a prior owner and transformed into a rabbet plane.  Have you tried it out?  Let us know how it cuts.  That Millers Falls is fore plane (#6 bench plane) length.  I like that you left it original.  I may have mentioned in a previous post or two that the #5 1/2 and #6 bench planes are some of my favorite sizes to use.  I know they're probably not as sought after as some other sizes, but they seem perfect to me.  "I'm a fore plane fan for sure!"  (Try saying that fives times as fast as you can!)  Thanks for adding a little content to the thread.  I always like to see what others have in their collections.

Jim C.