Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321422 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #840 on: September 04, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
A note of caution, I don't soak wood handle tools in vinegar.  The reason is that the vinegar will get under the wood and the steel under the wood will rust from the vinegar.  Over time the rust will creep out from under the wood and start rusting the adjacent metal.  I learned the hard way by soaking wood handle wrenches and then noting how they rusted 6 months to a year later.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
A note of caution, I don't soak wood handle tools in vinegar.  The reason is that the vinegar will get under the wood and the steel under the wood will rust from the vinegar.  Over time the rust will creep out from under the wood and start rusting the adjacent metal.  I learned the hard way by soaking wood handle wrenches and then noting how they rusted 6 months to a year later.
I would not do it, either, and didn't mean to sound like I was recommending it.  I hadn't thought about the absorption of the acid into the wood (white vinegar being acetic acid diluted in water other acids, like cider vinegar, also have acetic acid, with other acids and flavors), but that's an excellent point.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #842 on: September 10, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
And no, i still haven't glued that handle on the prior plane.   Thought i would show the 110 and the No. 4  that I found.   Both need cleanup and work.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #843 on: September 10, 2018, 09:43:04 PM »
Nice looking No. 4, but who made that No. 110 with the klown knob?

I sometimes find the low knob No. 4s a little frustrating: it gets tight around that knob in the shorter bench planes.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #844 on: September 10, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
no idea on makers on either one yet.   hope to find more as they get dismantled and cleaned.   

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #845 on: September 11, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »
No visible lateral lever on that No. 4 - could be an early Stanley.  A lot of the features look Stanley-ish to me.  If you haven't already found it, this is helpful for estimating the production date range of Stanley bench planes: http://rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #846 on: November 22, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »
I hope you all enjoy a very Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends!

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #847 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
I have been buying a lot of tools, but no planes until last Saturday's auction.  There were three planes, a Stanley No. 5 and two wood bodied planes and I was only interested in one of the wood planes.  That is, until they couldn't get a bid on the No.5 and put them all together.  I got them all for $15.00----no plane guys present??  Will only discuss the No.5, will show the others later.  The Stanley has painted black wood handles and one can tell it is original.  Not a bad looking plane and I typed it out to a No.18. For some reason I thought it should have a plated clamp, but not according to a No.18.  What do you think?

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #848 on: December 04, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
Hi coolford,

Thanks for jump starting the thread.  Without seeing your #5 up close, and going only by the black paint on the tote and knob and what I can see, I’d say you’re right, and the plane is a Type 18 or possibly a Type 19, likely manufactured at some point between about 1946 and 1961.  I think it’ll make a great user, and the price was right too!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:25:24 PM by Jim C. »

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #849 on: December 05, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »
These are the two wood planes that were with the No.5.  The first picture is the one I wanted, as I didn't have one like it in the collection.  The handle is part of the plane, not something added.  I really wonder how it was manufactured.  It is marked W.J. Winterhalter but the blade is marked Ohio Tool co. Cast Steel with two arrows and Warrented.  The iron is thick and heavy.  The second plane is not marked or has worn off and the blade in it is Sandusky Tool Co. Warrented Cast Steel. Again a thick and heavy iron.  The last picture is of the irons with the Sandusky on the left and the Ohio Tool on the right.

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #850 on: December 05, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
Hello, Coolford. Those are good looking planes!!! I looked in Pollak's Guide, no listing for a Winterhalter, but Pollak only lists Makers of American Wooden Planes. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #851 on: December 08, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
I have been accused of collecting anything and that is true.  Even this junk new plane, at auction they had several, first choice was $5.00, second at $4.00 and then I bought this one for $3.00.  New in the box, China of course.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #852 on: December 08, 2018, 06:29:53 PM »
Okay coolford, I’m a believer.  You really will collect anything!  I’ve never seen that model before.  Have you tried it out?  How does it cut?

Jim C.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #853 on: December 09, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
Don't think i've seen an adjusting mechanism like that on a plane before.   Reminds me of the double on a spokeshave.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #854 on: December 09, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
Don't plan on trying it out as I might bend the body. :grin: