Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321573 times)

Offline Northwoods

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #1020 on: August 26, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
All the plane posts, and not a word about the Stanley 102?
I got a nice example of the 23-32 Sweetheart the other day.  It is pretty as a brown speckled puppy in a little red wagon.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1021 on: August 26, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
I got a nice example of the 23-32 Sweetheart the other day.  It is pretty as a brown speckled puppy in a little red wagon.

That’s great!  Let’s have look at it.  I’m not sure why we haven’t hit on the #102 yet, but now that you brought it up, feel free to post a few photos and a little write up too if you’d like.  You can do it or I can, but if you’re waiting for me, it could be a while!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:19:28 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1022 on: August 27, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »
Nice plane indeed Jim, it’s in great Nic!
Jimmy

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1023 on: August 27, 2019, 06:37:28 AM »
Hi Jimmy Joiner,

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  Feel free to add some hand plane related content any time.  We’d all like to see the hand planes from across the pond!

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1024 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »

Hey Northwoods,

We’re not even gonna get a picture or two?

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1025 on: August 27, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
Hi Jimmy Joiner,

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  Feel free to add some hand plane related content any time.  We’d all like to see the hand planes from across the pond!

Jim C.
[/quote thanks Jim, I get some shots and info together.

Jimmy

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1026 on: August 27, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »
My Carter no4, these were made in Sydney from ‘roughly’ 1948-1972. Cast at different foundries around Sydney, they vary dramatically, my one pictured is very heavy and larger than the Stanley next to it. I’m not saying it’s better just heavier,Carters didn’t have fore and aft frog adjustments like Turner and Falcons (two other Aussie makers) did. I like this one as it is hardly used and has a great transfer in place on the handle.
Jimmy

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1027 on: August 27, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
Turner planes were made in Melbourne same post war 2 to 1970ish. These were obviously modelled  on Millers Falls version from the 30’s with the red plastic handles. This one is a 4 1/2 and is a good looking item and sold well, sort after with local collectors. These feel a bit nicer in the hand in my opinion.

Jimmy

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1028 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:25 AM »
Falcon or Falcon Pope, were made from 46 to 56, after that they went on with a name change to just “Pope” along with design changes such as an alloy frog and cap design change emulating Stanley’s this time,  over Falcons earlier Millers Falls design. Falcon seemed to of copied MF’s number system also.
Although it was a short ten or so years of production, there are plenty of these 09’s (no 4’s) around still.
The 5 1/2 is mine ready for a tune and I’m looking for a new handle also.

Jimmy

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1029 on: August 28, 2019, 01:23:41 AM »
Popes remodelled No 4, looking more Stanley like than the previous Falcon.
The Village Woodworker, Hand tool preservation Society and The Traditional Tool Group all have good information on Australia’s Hand tool history if anyone is interested.

Hope you all have a great day.
Jimmy

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1030 on: August 28, 2019, 05:50:25 AM »
Wow!!!  Some GREAT looking hand planes, Jimmy!  I wasn’t familiar with them but they appear to be pretty good quality tools.  Do you have a favorite to use?  It looks like you’ve got a nice collection.  Is it mostly comprised of Australian-made planes?  I haven’t come across those manufacturers planes when I’m at the old tool auctions and meets here in the U.S.  Some of the British-made planes are available and for a time, some Stanleys were made in England.  How do the Australian made planes compare in terms of quality, fit, finish, etc. to other planes from the same era that were made in the U.S.?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:56:19 AM by Jim C. »

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1031 on: August 28, 2019, 06:12:19 AM »
Thanks Jim, I do like the look of them also. The Carter is the most unique looking, less of a copy of your US planes, and I love those super thick sidewalls!! I haven’t compared them all as yet, I do have a no 4 1/2 Stanley type 15 or 16 which is beautiful, just bought an earlier no 3 Stanley lower front knob, and have a sixties no 5 which is the only one I’ve used recently, time poor. The Turner feels nicer than its compatriots almost as nice as the type 15 Stanley. I’m setting up a workshop in the next month and will be giving them all a run including my Spiers infill!

Jimmy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:16:13 AM by Jimmy Joiner »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1032 on: August 28, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
My Carter no4, these were made in Sydney from ‘roughly’ 1948-1972. Cast at different foundries around Sydney, they vary dramatically, my one pictured is very heavy and larger than the Stanley next to it. I’m not saying it’s better just heavier,Carters didn’t have fore and aft frog adjustments like Turner and Falcons (two other Aussie makers) did. I like this one as it is hardly used and has a great transfer in place on the handle.
Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

I found the dimensions of your Carter smoother sort of interesting, and it’s approximate date of manufacture also of interest.  Right around the same time period, about 1948 to 1961, Stanley added significant proportion to its #4 1/2 smoother.  The main body casting got significantly heavier and wider than its earlier offered #4 1/2 models.  It looks more and more like Stanley might have been responding to the European market.  I wrote a little about this topic way back in the thread on page 28, reply 419.  Thanks again for your posts.  Good stuff!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:12:28 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #1033 on: August 28, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
Thanks Jim, I’m researching Stanley’s conquest of Titan, here in Aust. Titan are still prized for their edge holding properties and there is some brazing technique on these cutters which seem to be unique maybe worldwide. I’ll research more into these Titan/Stanley offerings.
Most Stanley’s sold here in the eighties, were either, made in Aust or Eng. Record planes were another offering at the time.
I guess the local Titan/ Stanley cutters, must of worked well in our tough to work eucalyptus species that dominate here.
I’ll look up the post you suggested Jim.
Kind regards
Jimmy 

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1034 on: August 28, 2019, 05:37:33 PM »
Hello, Jimmy. Nice group of planes!! Thanks for sharing, always good to see manufacturing from other countries. Jim C. , were you referring to the Stanley #4-1/2 Smoother in general? Or to the #4-1/2 H? Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society