Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321666 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #375 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
"I bought it at [a] time when my self perceived knowledge outweighed my actual knowledge." - now, that's a candidate for quote of the day!

An alternative to the 94 is the Record 073.  I've got one, purchased years ago, and it's a durable tool, better engineered than the 94.  Prices on That Auction Site run from $36 to $100, though mostly north of $100.  Another alternative, far sweeter but at a scarier price, is the Lee Valley large shoulder plane.  I have their medium shoulder plane, and it's so much easier to use than the Record that the Record sits in the drawer except for those rare occasions that I need the width it offers.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #376 on: June 17, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
Hi Bill,

As for the quote of the day, well, that's been the story of my life so far.  I don't really know what I don't know until I find out (sometimes the hard way) what I don't know. Often times, I fool myself into thinking that I know more than I really do.

As for your shoulder planes..... How about a few pictures?  They'd be a great way to compare and contrast them to the #94.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #377 on: June 20, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
Jim,

You asked me to post pictures of the alternative shoulder planes I mentioned (pointing up to my earlier post).  Here they are.  The rustier looking one is the Record 073; the shinier one the Lee Valley (Veritas) medium (3/4" wide, similar in size to the Stanley 93) shoulder plane.

The Record is comparable in size to the Stanley 94.  I find it a little frustrating - it's hard to find a good grip on it in many positions.  But I won it in a contest years ago and am reluctant to give it up.  This is the plane that Lie-Nielsen copied for its shoulder planes.

The Veritas, like all the Veritas products, has been rethought from the traditional design.  The little brass knob on top can be flipped to either side or straight up, and the overall design gives great, and flexible, grip.  This is the shoulder plane I use 99% of the time; if the money gods ever smile brightly enough, I'll pick up their large shoulder plane, which is similar in size to the Stanley 94 and Record 073.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #378 on: June 20, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
Perfect Bill.  Thanks for taking the time to post a couple pictures for comparison.  Also, your personal experience using the planes helps a lot.  It's good to know what others think of a plane's performance, functionality, and utility, particularly when some of these tools are not cheap.  There's nothing worse than buying a tool and then being less than happy with it for whatever reason.  Honest evaluations are really great.

Jim C. 

Online Jim C.

« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »
About a week ago today, I attended an extended family get together in the Midwest, for purposes of celebrating my cousin’s wedding back in March.  It was a belated outdoor party with a pig roast and casual attire.  That’s my kind of wedding reception.  I’ll pass on the formal shirt and tie thing any day if possible.  It was good to see all my aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.  A short while back, my aunt and uncle moved to Arizona. They had been vacationing there for several years, and finally decided they’d had enough of the Midwest winter and moved down there for good.  They bought a house in a nice area, across the street from a man and woman who were a little older than they are.  The man was a retired aerospace engineer from California.  My uncle described the man as real “tinkerer.”  He had a garage full of tools and could fix any thing.  My uncle is also one of those guys.  Although he was not a mechanic by trade, he’s the best “shade tree” mechanic I know.  Anyway, during occasional conversations between my uncle and his across the street neighbor, my uncle learned that the man had a “storage locker” a few miles away containing some other old tools and odds and ends.  My uncle didn’t think much of it and that was that.  Well, a few months ago, the man died without warning.  It was after his death that my uncle learned that the man’s “storage locker” a few miles away, was actually a BUILDING that could accommodate sixteen cars.  Although there were a few cars in the building, it was mostly used to store tools and machinery associated with metalworking, woodworking, and mechanical applications.  By the time my uncle found out about the true size and contents of the “storage locker,” it was too late.  Most of the stuff had been sold or disbursed in some manner.  Only a few unwanted, overlooked items were left.  The plane depicted below is one of those tools.  Knowing of my collection, my uncle was kind enough to pick it up for me.

I can’t tell you how many times over the years that I’ve received old tools (mostly hand planes) from family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.  Nine out of ten times, the tools are in fair to poor condition, with broken and/or missing parts, or are damaged beyond repair.  I accept every one of those old tools with a smile and a sincere “thank you.”  It’s nice that someone thought of me and I appreciate that.  I save many of those old broken down tools for parts, and they do come in handy.  If I haven’t said it before, I’ll say it now, “I hate chasing parts.”  Individual parts can be expensive and sometimes impossible to find.  If a collector quality plane is missing any part that I KNOW FOR SURE will be easy to find, I might still buy it.  If it’s missing anything that will be tough to find, I pass on the plane.  I’m picky about user quality planes too, particularly if they're common.  Chasing parts is not an activity that I enjoy.  Even if the part that’s missing on a user quality plane is easy to obtain, my OCD compels me to find a vintage correct part to replace the missing/damaged part(s), and that again makes things harder.  I don't like chasing parts.   

When I receive a plane from someone, it is what it is.  Almost all of them become parts planes for the reasons stated above.  Still, every once in a while, someone gives me a real gem.  This is one of those planes!  It’s not an uncommon plane, but just a Stanley #6C, manufactured from 1898 well into the 1980s.  It’s a Type 13, manufactured between 1925 and 1928.  The Stanley logo on the iron was commonly used from 1922 to 1923.  What makes the plane great is the simple fact that it’s virtually complete with all vintage correct parts and appears to be undamaged.  Usually the knob and/or tote are missing, cracked or chipped.  Those things are expensive to replace.  All the correct hardware is present and accounted for.  The only thing I see is that the cutting iron is getting short.  There’s only about 9/16” left behind its cutting edge.  That’s okay because it says that the plane was well used, but not abused, and valued by its previous owner(s).  I like that.  The grunge, grime, dark patina, and light surface rust show an even distribution across the entire plane.  This plane hasn’t been taken apart in decades, and has not seen any use in recent times, hence the surface rust.  Still, everything about it tells me that all of its parts are original to the day it was assembled by Stanley.  I love planes like this, and the price was right.  With a few hours invested out in the shop, and a little applied elbow grease, this plane will be a great worker again.  Stay tuned……..

Jim C.         
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:01:33 PM by Jim C. »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
Those things we miss out on, can haunt us, but if its gone, let it go.   I never turn down free tools, if they think enough to offer, I take it as a gift.   You got a great plane to start with, anxious to see how it comes out.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Jim C.

« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
Hi John,

I think the plane is in pretty good shape for starters, and all the parts are present.  After I posted the photos this morning, I took the plane apart and gave it an initial cleaning.  There was a lot of packed down shavings under the frog and crud caked onto all the parts.  I started gently scrubbing the screw threads with a toothbrush and Kroil.  There's some rust here and there, so I've got parts soaking in Evaporust.  I don't want to totally remove the natural patina.  I don't mind if the plane shows its age.  My plan is to give the plane a good cleaning, lubrication, and tune up.  I won't re-finish it.  Once I get it back into working order, I'll definitely post a few pictures.

Jim C.   

Online Jim C.

« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »
If you've never tried it, Evaporust is amazing stuff!  The photo below depicts the same Stanley logo on the plane iron shown above in post #379 from this morning.  I soaked the iron for a few hours in Evaporust, and then gave it a light scrub with a toothbrush.  I rinsed the iron in water and dried it off with paper towel.  Done.  When I'm finished cleaning up the rest of the parts, I'll resharpen the iron and start making shavings.  Stay tuned...

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:19:12 PM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #383 on: June 29, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
As I get further along into the process of cleaning and rehabbing the plane I received from my uncle last week, I'm able to see all the good things this tool still has to offer in terms of going back to work.  I try to imagine its history and how it may have been used over the years.  With its short iron, I know that it was definitely used frequently.  I'm still impressed that a well used plane nearing 90 years old is still together and for the most part undamaged.  I don't mind normal wear and tear, and actually welcome it to some extent, but then I have to stop and wonder what a previous owner was thinking when he/she decided to manipulate the brass cutting iron adjustment screw with a toothed tool like pliers!!  I can't think of a single reason to adjust anything on a hand plane with pliers or the like.  There are teeth marks and gouges going all the way around the circumference of the screw and a lot of the knurling is mashed.  Too bad.  I'll still use the screw because I believe that it's original to the plane, but I hate to see avoidable damage like that.  There's no good reason for it. :rolleyes:

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:05:25 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #384 on: June 29, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »
I was taught to never use a toothed tool on any brass or on anything with a flat wrench pad (bolts, nuts, propane tanks, etc.)

Whoever did that should be wrist whacked by a sunday-go-to-meeting nun, with an aluminum yardstick.

Chilly

Online Jim C.

« Reply #385 on: June 29, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
Hi Chilly,

You would think that anyone with even the slightest "shop aptitude" would know better than to use pliers to adjust ANY tool or machine.  Pretty much every time I use a pair of pliers, I know that I'm going to leave marks on whatever their jaws touch.  Pliers certainly have their place out in the shop, and can be real lifesavers at times, but I mostly regard them as tools that are suited for rough work and/or demolition tasks.  They really shouldn't come into contact with any other hand tools.....including hand planes!!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:51:47 AM by Jim C. »

Offline bear_man

« Reply #386 on: June 30, 2014, 02:51:27 AM »
Me, I've "had" to use pliers to break loose a bolt or nut.  Especially if the frozen part is brass, I'll cushion the serrated "grippers" with bits of leather.

Offline Branson

« Reply #387 on: June 30, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
Me, I've "had" to use pliers to break loose a bolt or nut.  Especially if the frozen part is brass, I'll cushion the serrated "grippers" with bits of leather.

Yeah, that's me, too.  Got plenty of leather scraps that serve the purpose.   I get impatient, but not so impatient that I neglect the leather.  Usually.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #388 on: July 01, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »
Well, I got all the parts cleaned.  It took a few hours working here and there over the last week, but they're ready to go back together.....just as soon as I get the body of the plane cleaned up.  I mostly used Kroil, EvapoRust and a couple different toothbrushes to get the gunk and rust off.  I hand buffed the knob and tote with bees wax and a soft clean rag.  I'm reluctant to use a wire brush and/or wire wheel on my grinder because I don't really care for the finish those leave on the surface of the metal.  Sometimes it's unavoidable and such measures must be taken.  Fortunately not this time.  I still have some work to do on the main body of the plane.  There's great patina on the sides of the plane and I intend to save as much of that as possible.  The sole of plane is another story. As one can see in the photo above (see Reply 379) there's some light surface rust that I have to remove.  That could take a little time using oil and a tooth brush.  A small brush with brass bristles may be what it takes.  I'm getting there slowly but surely.  This plane will hopefully be a nice worker that still retains 90 years worth of character when it's done.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:37:55 PM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #389 on: July 07, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.  It was a beautiful weekend to be outdoors, but I still spent a little time in the shop cleaning the main body casting of the Stanley #6C bench plane depicted above in earlier posts starting at #379.  I'm really happy with the way it came out.  It took a little time, because I wanted to be careful not to remove any more of its original finish.  Once I got below the decades of crud and rust, I found about 50% of the plane's black japanning still intact.  It's not pretty, but I can tell this one's going to be a real nice worker.  If I get a little time this coming weekend, I'll grind and sharpen the iron, then we'll see just how good this old tool can be.

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:02:41 PM by Jim C. »