Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321601 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #405 on: August 08, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
Those planes are beautiful, Les.

I really like the tote on the last one. Is that the cherry burl?

Chilly

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #406 on: August 08, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
Yes the last one posted is the Pearce with the Burl Cherry main body, the handle also called the tote and the body are a single piece of Cherry.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #407 on: August 08, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
Bear-Man,   I also use a brass wire wheel at times. it is true brass, not coated like
many sellers are putting on the market.

I had asked a few sellers if they were real brass or coated and a few responded that they did not know.

mine is an OLD 6" fine brass wheel that I need to replace as it is well worn and I am
getting tired of pulling the wires out of my cheek.

do you know of a place to purchase a 6"  1/2" hole fine wire brass wheel ?

Frank

Offline bear_man

« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2014, 12:37:53 AM »
Turnnut/Frank — Mine also are 6" dia. and came with installed plastic/nylon/something 5/8"-1/2" arbor reducers.  Left-handed thanks to you, I now have to paint my face red.  Dealing with cataracts in both eyes, I never saw that my wire wheels are brass plated.  I reckon I used the one lightly enough not to damage the whatever-I-used-it-on.
     So no, I don't YET know where to find an actual brass wire wheel.  I reckon I'll query Lee Valley Hdw. first and then if that doesn't work…   *bear_man scratches his head*

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:47:10 AM by bear_man »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2014, 07:00:30 AM »
Getting off topic for the plane thread but checkout McMaster Carr they have all kinds of brushes not cheap but they have them.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wheel-wire-brushes/=t7cdt6

This link is for brass, they have non-sparking, stainless steel, aluminum and plastic for starters.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #410 on: September 07, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
Hello again “Hand Planes” thread followers.  I’m truly sorry for my recent absence.  Work has been insane since late July, and is finally starting to get back to normal.  Thankfully!!  I hope you’ve all had a great summer.  I thought I’d get back into the thread with something a little unusual, a small squirrel tailed block plane, the Stanley #100 ½.  Squirrel tailed block planes aren’t really too unusual, however, this particular model’s sole features radiuses that are 7/8” across its width and 12” along its length.  Why?

Well, the story goes that Stanley actively solicited and sought out tool designs, improvements, etc. from tradesmen and other tool users.  The #100 ½ is one such tool that came to be as a result of such solicitation.  According to published advertising put out by Stanley:

“This model maker’s convex plane fills a long-felt want” 

The advertisement went on to say:

“Like many other model makers, John Black of Marblehead, Ace Model Yachtsman, felt the need for a tool for working on the concave surfaces in wood.  Accordingly, he made the suggestion to the Stanley Rule and Level Plant, and their No. 100 ½ model maker’s plane, illustrated herewith, is the answer……” 

So there you have it.  We can thank Mr. Black for the Stanley #100 ½.  This plane was produced by Stanley between 1936 and 1962.  It’s somewhat scarce, but not impossible to find.  The earliest models had a black japanned pressure cap and a smooth squirrel tailed handle.  Later versions, like the example depicted below, came with a red pressure cap and the words “Stanley” and “No. 100 ½” cast into the top of the handle.  Those changes took place somewhere right around 1940 or so.  The handle was also cast with a hang hole in its center.  Normally I shy away from tools with those sorts of after factory additions (which are really subtractions to a collector).  However, since the hang hole was a factory added original feature, it’s okay with me. 

With it’s convex sole, I suppose this plane could provide some utility to a model maker, instrument maker, etc.  Generally speaking, its uses are somewhat limited I think.  Still, it does have the potential to be used as a very small scrub plane and is capable of hogging off material with its “scrub plane like” radiused cutting iron.  Over the years, I’ve looked for subtle ways to add handcrafted details to my projects.  I want my work to show character and a clear indication that hand work with hand tools was a conscious decision.  With that in mind, the little Stanley #100 ½ fits the bill perfectly.  On small to medium sized projects that include drawers, I frequently set the #100 ½ for a light cut.  Then I’ll make consecutive passes equally spaced (sort of) by eye (no measuring), the entire length of all the inner surfaces of the drawer parts (before final assembly of course).  The inner surfaces are left with a scalloped effect that isn’t necessarily seen, but is definitely felt.  (Look closely at the last picture below.  See the scalloped surface of the wood?)

The Stanley #100 ½ isn’t a plane that I’d acquire as a must have for regular use (unless you’re Mr. Black), but keep an eye for one.  At the very least, one might find it useful for creating “details.”

Jim C.                       
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:44:35 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #411 on: September 07, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
Also, MANY, MANY thanks again to Les (Lewill2) for keeping the thread going with some great posts that included writeups and pictures of a few AMAZING plow planes from his collection!!

Jim C.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #412 on: September 08, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
As I collected my plow planes I noticed another regional thing. The depth stop adjusting knob/thumb screw style adjuster found on most plow planes as well as the depth stop lock knob/thumb screw are different on the Auburn New York makers. The Auburn area makers use a round knurled head adjuster for both the depth stop adjuster and the depth stop lock. I don't know if this a result of the prison labor Auburn Tool used and other Auburn area makers obtained some of their parts from the prison or if they all purchased the parts from the same Auburn area supplier.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
Hey Les,

Thanks for the additional information on plow plane hardware.  Prison labor huh?  I had no idea.  I REALLY love the history of these old tools.  Great stuff!  While you’re here, I was hoping you could take a look at the pictures below. 

Here’s a little background.  Pretty much everyone that I know is aware of the fact that I like old hand planes and hand tools.   I know that somewhere earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I frequently receive old hand planes and tools from coworkers, neighbors, acquaintances, immediate and extended family members, etc., etc.  As I also mentioned, I accept every single tool with a heartfelt “thank you” followed by a handshake and/or a hug.  During my recent absence from the thread I received a few old tools from a coworker about a month ago, to include a couple wooden moulding planes, and the remnants of the plow plane depicted below.   As you can see, it’s in rough condition missing its iron and wedge, and with a few broken/damaged parts.  Like several old wooden planes that I’ve seen over the years, it has a couple names stamped into its nose.  Manufacturers?  Prior owners?  I don’t know.

Les, as the resident plow plane guru, I was hoping you could provide me with any information you may know about the plane and the names stamped into its nose.  Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:57:55 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
John Denison is the maker, Born 1799 Died August 25, 1876. He was in business for himself at Denison's Tool Manufactory in the rear of his home in Saybrook CT from 1840-1876. More info can be found in American Wooden Planes by Emil & Martyl Pollak 4th Edition. It is one of his rarer marks. The other name is a previous owner's mark. There is a J. C. Duryea listed as a hardware store owner in Brooklyn NY from 1836-1849, perhaps this was a different owner of the business after 1849, son maybe?? J C's stamp was a 2 line stamp, name on first line and Brooklyn on the second line.

One arm has been replaced with a homemade replacement.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #415 on: September 10, 2014, 09:10:06 AM »
John Denison is the maker, Born 1799 Died August 25, 1876. He was in business for himself at Denison's Tool Manufactory in the rear of his home in Saybrook CT from 1840-1876. More info can be found in American Wooden Planes by Emil & Martyl Pollak 4th Edition. It is one of his rarer marks. The other name is a previous owner's mark. There is a J. C. Duryea listed as a hardware store owner in Brooklyn NY from 1836-1849, perhaps this was a different owner of the business after 1849, son maybe?? J C's stamp was a 2 line stamp, name on first line and Brooklyn on the second line.

One arm has been replaced with a homemade replacement.

Wow! That was fast Les!  Thanks for the information.  Being somewhere between 138 years old and 174 years old, that would be the oldest plane that anyone has ever given me.  That's really something.  It's too bad that it's not in useable condition.  As you can see, parts are missing, broken, and have been crudely replaced.  Do you have a complete example of this plane that you could post a few pictures of?  From what remains, I have a general idea of what it looked like as a complete working tool, but still, a few pictures would be great if you have an example in your collection.

I have a pretty good array of old cast iron parts planes.  Most of them were given to me in similar (or worse) condition to the plow plane depicted above.  Occasionally, those old planes yield a part or two that is missing from some other plane that has more potential as a "user" out in the shop.  Is that the case with plow planes?  Anyway, if you're interested, I'd be willing to send this plane to you for your parts collection.  The metal hardware appears to be original with just some minor surface rust.  One screw arm appears to be in good shape, as is one of the large nuts.  Both small nuts are also in good condition.  The fence has a few dents and dings, but it seems to be solid and useable.  If you think this plane has some value to you or any other plow plane collectors that you know, just send me a Private Message (PM) with your address and I'll send it out to you by the end of the week.  It would be great if this plane, or at least some of its parts, could help you or someone else.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:59:56 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Branson

« Reply #416 on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:10 AM »
Except for the absence of the wedge and blades, it looks perfectly usable to me.  From experience I can say that the most expensive part to replace is the depth adjuster.   Wedges can be made, and blades come up on eBay regularly.  The replacement arm is ugly, but you ought to be able to carve it to match the original better.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #417 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
I agree with Branson the only parts missing are the wedge and iron. I appreciate the offer but I have been thinning my plow plane collection the last few years. I still have over 50 but I try not to bring anymore home with me. Concentrating on wrenches these days. I don't have one of that makers anymore but I can get a picture of one similar. Yours isn't a top of the line plane in its day but it wasn't a bargain basement version either. It has the brass reinforced skate so that was a little more than one without the brass.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #418 on: September 10, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
I think it's going to be one of those many little projects that will be added to my, "One of these days I'm gonna....." list.  There's a lot of things already on that list!

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #419 on: September 14, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
The smoothing plane is a must have for any wood worker.  With a super sharp iron that’s ground to a slight camber on the ends, and set for a light pass, it will leave a finish on the surface of a work piece that cannot be matched by any machine, and certainly not by sandpaper.  In a future post I’d like to show you just how amazing such a finish can be leaving a sheen so bright, that sandpaper would only dull it.  Smoothing planes are generally thought to be sizes 1, 2, 3 and 4.  If you go all the way back to the initial post on page one, I featured what might be the single most popular hand plane size of all time, the #4 smoothing plane.  While the #4 is a real worker, in my opinion, the ultimate cast iron smoothing plane is the #4 ½.

Stanley #4 ½:

The numbering system Stanley used to identify its planes sort of made sense some of the time, but occasionally they came up with a plane that was between sizes.  The #4 ½ is one such plane and the first in Stanley's product line to have received a fractional designation.  Certainly longer and wider than a traditional #4, but not long enough to be considered #5 jack plane size, I guess calling a it a 4 ½ is appropriate.  Stanley started producing the #4 ½ in 1884 and continued to make them into the early 1960s.  The thought is that Stanley wanted to manufacture a smoother that could compete with the highly prized European infill smoothers that were made by Spiers, Norris and others, yet still mass produce them for the general public.  European infill planes are heavy, and that’s a very desirable feature when considering a smoothing plane.  Stanley’s answer was to produce a plane that resembled a #4 on steroids, the #4 ½.  At one time (1902 – 1924), Stanley made a plane that was cast with number “4 ½ H.”  The “H” actually meant “Heavy.” The Heavy #4 ½ smoothers were never listed in any Stanley U. S. tool catalog, but they very frequently turned up in Europe.   It was certainly an attempt to compete with the European infill smoothers.  Since they weren’t offered in the United States, Stanley #4 ½ H smoothers are scare and expensive to boot.  It should be noted that Stanley also manufactured Bedrock versions of the #4 1/2, they were the #604 1/2 and the #604 1/2C.  Although not as rare as the #4 1/2H, collectors and users alike also covet the large Bedrock smoothers, so you know what that means..... big $$$.     

The first five photos below depict a #4 ½ with a corrugated sole.  It’s a type 14 that was probably manufactured somewhere right around 1929 – 1930.  It’s a beautiful plane that’s capable of producing a very nice finish.  When compared to a standard #4 (see photos #6 and #7 below), one can see that the #4 ½ is significantly bigger and heavier than its smaller sibling.  Between 1884 and about 1945, the #4 ½'s dimensions were 10 ¼” long and 2 ¾” wide.  What’s interesting is that somewhere around WWII, Stanley started making the #4 ½'s main body casting still bigger, heavier and thicker (see photo #10 below).  Notice the difference in the thickness of the side walls between the type 19 (1948 - 1961) on the left and the type 14 on the right.  The type 19 weighs a little over five pounds, which was also the weight of the rare #4 1/2 Heavy version mentioned above.  From the mid 1940s until the end of production in the early 1960s, the #4 ½ remained 10 ¼” long, but its width was increased from 2 ¾” to a full 3” (see photo #8 below).  See that extra 1/4" difference in the width?

With all the 4 ½’s different sizes and weights over the years, it seems like Stanley was never really satisfied with its larger smoothing plane offerings.  I don’t doubt that Stanley could have made a very high quality large smoothing plane, however, mass producing one that was still affordable to the general pubic may have been a fine line to walk.  While the old Spiers and Norris smoothers are still highly sought by users and collectors, the Stanley #4 ½ can certainly earn its keep out in the shop and it won’t break the bank.  In a future post, I’d like to show you just how good a #4 1/2 could be.

Jim C.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:49:23 AM by Jim C. »