Author Topic: Seeking information on a Fairbanks-Ward 6 1/2" (circular) clutch saw.  (Read 8066 times)

Offline dbldr51

Its a Fairbanks-Ward 6 1/2" clutch saw. This belonged to my grandfather who I believe passed away in 58-59. I was too young to remember the exact year. It has been in my possession since the early 70's. I used it for several years until I just had to have a "new" one. Same old story, "new and improved".  Never realizing this was and probably always will be a much better saw. Seems pretty well made to me. It does need some work, the cord looks original and shows it. That and some cleaning and it may be as good as or better than new. I have been toying with the idea of finding it a good home. It has just sat on the shelf for way too long. Now it has become an obsession to find out more about it. I have tried searching but without luck. Anybody know anything about this saw or where I might find some info on it?  Heck with a little help I might even try and put it back into service. I could get rid of my "new and improved" one. I have some pics but they are too big. I'll see if my wife can fix that problem and post them at a later time. Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm new so be nice. LOL

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Welcome to Tool Talk! I think Ron Darner may be able to help you when he logs in, or any other member that can assist will do so.

Resize your pictures to no more than 800 on the long side and they will post, either from your computer or from a photo hosting service.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:50:54 AM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline dbldr51

Thank ya sir. I'll see about getting the pics resized. I'm sure they would be helpful. I look forward to hearing from others.

DD

Offline dbldr51

Here is the pic of the Fairbanks-Ward Saw, I hope.

Offline Branson

There isn't much work in replacing the cord.  Clean it up and use it.  And you have the original manual and steel box!
I find the 6ers convenient to use.  I've got two of them.  One is a new(ish) Porter-Cable Saw Boss, and the other is a
vintage Porter-Cable Guild (estate sale, $15).  They're perfect for a lot of uses.

Offline rusty

Fairbanks-Ward appears to have been a branding reseller, they mostly sold other peoples products with their name on them. Their hot product was an Australian washing machine that used ultrasonic sound to wash clothes. They also sold tools, generators glassware, dishes....

Best guess for your saw would be mid 50's, in any case before 80 when they appear to have gone poof....

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SiteMap/FreePdfPreview.aspx?img=105348921
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline dbldr51

Thanks for the info Rusty. I've talked to quite a few people in the construction and cabinet business and nobody seems to know anything about this saw. I'd like to find out if its worth the time, effort and money to put it back in service.  Hopefully someone will know mopre about it and if I'm lucky where I can find some parts. I have run across some glassware/dishes with that name. Seems a odd match. Tools and dishes. I'm really surprised I haven't found more people familiar with this brand. Thanks again.

DD