Author Topic: Milwaukee 4" Belt Sander Model 5910  (Read 10139 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Milwaukee 4" Belt Sander Model 5910
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
I don't generally seek out to purchase used power tools, but this one was one that I couldn't pass up.  I've been in search of a good quality belt sander, and today this one landed in my lap for a $20.

It is much larger than what I'm accustomed to seeing in a belt sander.  It weighs heavily.  It came in a metal Milwaukee box designed for a porta-band, but fits nicely.

I'd be interested in thoughts on it's age.  I don't think its terribly new given the metal ID tag and lack of dust bag collector.  Your thought on age?

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline rusty

Re: Milwaukee 4" Belt Sander Model 5910
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »
Dates on the parts drawings are 1977 or 1982 depending on serial number ending > 5581
(Only a handful of stray parts are still available for that, so be nice to it ;P)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
serial number ends ....3824

Thank you!
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
The Milwaukee Tool factory and parts warehouse is only about a half hour from me. The counter guys at the parts dept have been a big help to me in the past. Let me know if you need anything for it. From the looks of it, it has not been used much. I have Milwaukee tools that are thirty years old and have only needed brushes and cords. They are pretty solid, heavy duty tools. Nice score!
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
The Milwaukee Tool factory and parts warehouse is only about a half hour from me.

It is??  I have a Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter drill that came with a detachable cord... originally.  When it came to me, the cord had been detached and lost.  Could you find out if a replacement cord is still available?  Also missing the auxiliary handle, but that's not essential -- can't use it without the cord.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
The Milwaukee Tool factory and parts warehouse is only about a half hour from me.

It is??  I have a Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter drill that came with a detachable cord... originally.  When it came to me, the cord had been detached and lost.  Could you find out if a replacement cord is still available?  Also missing the auxiliary handle, but that's not essential -- can't use it without the cord.
You might look on ereplacementparts.com. I found the detachable cord for the 1/2" hole shooter I picked up at a yard sale.  Only about ten time what i paid for the drill.  Now I know why the price was so good at the yard sale.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
Speaking from bitter experience, that &$@///&##%+ cord costs between 25 and 30 bucks. You can do a little better shopping for it online from an aftermarket tool parts house. Let me know and I'll pick one up if you want. I think I got mine on ebay for about half. Be careful, there is more than one style.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:20:24 PM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
The old sawzall had that stupid cord also, one misscut and you are out $23...

That and the lack of a quick change blade holder is why I gave it to someone else ;P

...Yes..there are at least 5 different cords...:(
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »
Some of Milwaukee's newer tools have "twist lock plug". Personally I like that design. I cut a cord on my circular saw once(my stupidity). I had a Milwaukee magnum drill in my truck as well. Within 30 seconds I had another cord on. The cords are universal between tools as long as you have the two or three wire cord. You can buy them in various lengths as well.

I highly recommend the design.

I don't own one but bosch also has something called direct connect were the extension cord plugs directly into the back of the saw.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »
Speaking from bitter experience, that &$@///&##%+ cord costs between 25 and 30 bucks. You can do a little better shopping for it online from an aftermarket tool parts house. Let me know and I'll pick one up if you want. I think I got mine on ebay for about half. Be careful, there is more than one style.

I'll take you up on that offer.  Mine has the three prong set up on the drill.  The cost is pretty funny.  I have a Black & Decker that came without its detachable cord and the replacement only cost $12. 

The B&D is a funny story in itself.  A friend of mine checks out the piles put out in the street for removal, and if he finds a tool, it comes to me.  The B&D came from one of these piles.  It looked absolutely unused.  While it was missing the cord, it came with the card you send back to B&D to register your purchase of the tool.  The card was partially filled out -- this drill had been bought by my friend's father!  Looks like the neighbor had borrowed it and forgotten to return it.

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
You've got yourself a decent belt sander. I'm not too familiar with it but it looks comparable to the Porter Cable 362. You can't touch a new one for under $250. It would be a bonus if it has a variable speed adjustment, although I can't say I've ever found it necessary.
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...