Author Topic: Drill Powered Lathe Information  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Catch22!

Drill Powered Lathe Information
« on: October 06, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
This was in a abandoned homeless camp that we were helping clean up.  No markings on it.  Unsure what drill it used or if it had something on the drill that kept the wood in place.

Online Bill Houghton

Re: Drill Powered Lathe Information
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
Well, that one's interesting.  I'd peg it for the 1950s, when there were lots of tools made for small drill motors.  The increases in universal motor efficiency spurred by the war, and the availability of aluminum production facilities (also spurred by the war), made small drill motors affordable; and the influx of new homeowners, anxious to start their adult lives after the war, created a sizable market, but not necessarily one with enough money for big machines.

You might try, too, over at Old Woodworking Machines: http://www.owwm.org/index.php.  The distinctive color might help...but I'm not terribly good with that kind of ID.

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
I don't recognize it but really like it. I agree it is late 40s to 50s. All stationary lathes have the live head on the left as you use it. This one being on the right was before they had reversible drill motors.
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
If memory serves me … that blue color is Montgomery Ward Power Craft.

Joe B