Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 324491 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #1170 on: June 26, 2021, 03:39:48 PM »
There are things in life worth more than plane collections, and un-breaking the seller's heart was surely one of them.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1171 on: June 26, 2021, 09:45:04 PM »
There are things in life worth more than plane collections, and un-breaking the seller's heart was surely one of them.

Hey Bill,

That’s what my wife said when I came home and told her I had been the proud owner of a #164 for about an hour.  It was at that moment I made her promise not to pressure me when the time came to start liquidating my collection.  It was at that moment she made me promise not to leave her with the burden of getting rid of the collection after my passing or incapacitation.  Then I asked her, “What if you go first?”  :grin:………. My kids have made it perfectly clear, if left to them, that they’ll have a garage sale and everything will be priced to sell.  At some point I’ll have to start liquidating on my terms.  I’m not there yet but I am slowly starting to part with other tools and some machinery.  It took a long time to amass all this stuff and it’s gonna take some time to part with it.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:58:13 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1172 on: July 04, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »
This is about the Stanley No. 1 I bought at auction last week and listed in the discussion section.  As you know from reading that post I paid $12.50 for a box lot of three items, a tool box, and two milk crates.  The plane was in the bottom of the tool box which is in itself interesting, as it appears to be the type found on the running boards of early cars.  I was going to restore the plane, but decided instead to just clean it as it will never be more than just a good user.  Pictures attached.  After I bought the plane I wanted to find out more history, but ran into a dead end.  It was an estate sale, the owner passed, and there were no children.  As you know, finding a No. 1 in the wild is not something that occurs everyday.  When I arrived at the auction I went first to the garage area where there was a long table of tools.  Almost all of it was very early Taiwan and China of very low quality.  I thought at first another wasted trip, but when I walked behind the house there was on older shop with rows of rusty tools on tables and on the ground.  The tool box and milk crates were on the ground as was a very old large master carpenter wood toolbox.  It was mostly rotten and not repairable and contained only worthless tools.  Back to the plane, it appears to be a type 7 from 1893-1899 with "S" foundry casting marks.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #1173 on: July 04, 2021, 10:46:54 AM »
Not a lot of room for fingers on those smaller planes.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1174 on: July 04, 2021, 01:46:56 PM »
Happy 4th of July to everyone!  I hope the weather is great where you are and the BBQs are fired up. 

Coolford,

That is one of the greatest “in the wild” hand plane finds that I’m aware of.  I’ve had a few good ones over the years, but never a #1.  As you have stated, and I fully concur, leaving the plane unrestored is probably the way to go.  Refinishing it or even over cleaning it would very likely devalue it.  This is one those planes that’s better left untouched even if you plan to use it.  A gentle wipe down and some lubricant on the threaded parts should do the trick.  Congratulations on making a fantastic find!!

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1175 on: July 05, 2021, 03:02:52 PM »
A few more comments on the #1.  It was in the tightly sealed metal toolbox while a number of other planes from their appearance were in the large wood carpenters chest.  Those that were too far gone to save were a #45 (no blades), 103, 8, 9, 5, 4 and some block planes all Stanley.  However, there were bidders on them (maybe for parts?), the 103 went for $30.00 and it was a rock solid piece of junk heavily pitted.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1176 on: July 05, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »
Coolford,

Why didn’t you go after the #9? Was it that bad?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:33:55 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #1177 on: July 05, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »
$30 for a No. 103?  Seems to me I walked away from a clean (not fancy clean, just usable clean) example of one of those for $1 a couple of years back, because I couldn't see the point of buying it.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #1178 on: July 05, 2021, 11:54:37 PM »
I think one of my best finds was a No 2C in good condition for $ 10 Canadian at a garage sale, but that's not even close to your No 1 find. Your a lucky man.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1179 on: July 06, 2021, 02:55:17 PM »
Jim-C the #9 had pits that were at least 1/16" deep and great pieces of flaking rust.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #1180 on: July 26, 2021, 01:12:22 AM »
This weekend at an estate sale I came across this English router plane and having never seen one, I bought it.  It has two or three previous owner/user names and a company name.   The iron is marked T. S. Kaye & Sons. The just previous owner inherited it from his father and brought it to the states 40 years ago. The estate sales guy wrote the price on the wood with marker.  It may never come off.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:21:33 PM by Yadda »
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1181 on: July 26, 2021, 07:00:22 AM »
Nice, I would have also bought it! :smiley:

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1182 on: July 26, 2021, 07:19:22 AM »
At an auction on Saturday I bought four planes but only took home two.  The four planes were sold as a group and included a Stanley #8, Ward Master #3 and 4 and an unknown block plane.  Someone else wanted them and I had to pay $45.00 for the lot.  As I was picking them up the other bidder asked me if I really wanted the Ward Master planes.  I really did not so asked what he would pay for them and he replied $25.00.  Sold!!! So, I figure I paid $20.00 for the number eight.  The #8 is an 8C and figures out to be a type 14, 1929-30.  It is already apart and is an unmolested example with everything correct for a 14.  However, someone used it on a pitch containing wood and has been very difficult to clean.  The tote and knob are perfect and in excellent condition and I originally bought the lot for them to use on my #8 but will leave them on the 8C when I finish restoring it.  Will show the 8C when I finish it.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1183 on: July 27, 2021, 04:36:38 AM »
Well done Yatta!  What a nice little plane. I can’t believe some idiot wrote on it with a marker.  I hope you can carefully remove it.  You might try a squirt of WD-40 on a clean cotton rag, keeping the contact as close to the marked area as possible.  About two years ago I tried this on an old wooden Sargent level and successfully removed a previous owner’s name that had been written in black magic marker.  The level had a lot of patina much like your plane.  Still, PROCEED WITH CAUTION AND GREAT CARE!  If you try it, let us know how it goes.

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1184 on: July 27, 2021, 04:45:41 AM »
Hi coolford,

Very nice price for a #8C.  I’m looking forward to seeing it once you get it cleaned up.  I agree that leaving the knob and tote on the 8C is the way to go. They’ve been on the plane for 90+ years.  Why separate them now?

Jim C.