Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321406 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »
Thanks Jim.  Ron doesn't use the old planes.  He uses a CNC mill, but does have an impressive bench full of traditional tools.  While I was talking to him he grabbed a beautiful goose neck pattern chisel and trimmed a lug in a mold.  Many of the machines in his shop are in the century old category. Big band saw, big wood lathe, his vertical mill is pre WWII. Except for the CNC horizontal and the sand machines, most everything is antique. He also builds and repairs furniture. Fun for me was seeing the Cheese Head foam molds that he was reworking for a customer.

John,

Still a couple great write-ups!  Thanks for chipping in.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
I continue to watch - read this string with great interest.  Never a dull moment.  I'd love to be a collector of "factory paint" planes - now that I know what that means - but lack the resources to find, afford or store even old rust beauties.  Those were among the primary reasons that I started to build my miniatures.  The interaction about the #45 has been of particular interest, it being among the few full size planes that I do have.  Though I have no practical use for it (does anyone really any more?), I do enjoy looking at it, appreciating its fine lines, great design and its beautifully proud and pleasing floral designs, as I imagine an old carpenter (my grandpa) using it with great care, skill and pride.  It might not be worth much to a paint collector with some of the nickle worn off where my grandpa's hands touched it, but just looking at it takes me back to him as I keep it prominently and proudly displayed in my living room; it's only a glance away and keeps my dear old grandpa ever near.  I wouldn't trade this old plane for "new paint" with no personal history or memories.  To me, this is what collecting is all about, and I hope that some day my grand children will smile in remembrance of me when they hold some of the miniatures that they have helped (watched) me build despite the value that history applies to me or my creations.  Such must be the case with many of you as you imagine the future of your children and your tools.   Ralph

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
Hi Ralph,

I think you have EXACTLY the right outlook on old tools, and there's absolutely no reason for anyone to have to justify the motivation, nature, or content of their "collections" here.  As far as I know, there's no right or wrong way to enjoy antique tools.  It's the simple love of old tools, in this case hand planes, in any condition, that will hopefully keep the discussion going in a positive direction.  I've never really heard the term "paint collector" either, until very recently.  I can't say that I necessarily agree with its use nor the seemingly negative light that it casts on a certain segment of those who also enjoy old tools, but again, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. 

I think your work is amazing and your grandchildren will treasure your creations for all time.  I'd also hang onto your grandfather's #45.  Whether you ever use it or not, doesn't matter.  Its sentimental value and direct connection to your past is priceless.  I still contend that it's nice to see old tools as they looked brand new.  From an academic perspective, they're wonderful to study in that condition.  Still, as old as they may be, they all lack the decades of character that only honest use can bring to them.  You have it right..... You're interested in old hand planes and tools for your own reasons.  I'm a fan of your work and I'll keep watching.

Jim C.         
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:36:03 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Branson

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
I'll have to find the photos from Fort Ross.   The chests were already painted when I got there.  Meanwhile, here's a pic of the old trade store at Sutter's Fort, a later project.  The shelves on the back wall with the drawers in the bottom were amusing to do.  They're 20 inches deep, and the side boards and the top are single planks of pine.  I had found a source for 8/4+ pine, had them resawn, and with the hand planing they're a full 7/8 thick.  The counter is random width planks, T&G with a 1/4 inch bead worked in -- boxed wooden plane for that.  The apothecary drawers on the side wall -- yes, I did them all, and fitted them individually, so each drawer has a number corresponding to the slot it fits into.  An old wooden nosing plane edged the counter top.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »
I'll have to find the photos from Fort Ross.   The chests were already painted when I got there.  Meanwhile, here's a pic of the old trade store at Sutter's Fort, a later project.  The shelves on the back wall with the drawers in the bottom were amusing to do.  They're 20 inches deep, and the side boards and the top are single planks of pine.  I had found a source for 8/4+ pine, had them resawn, and with the hand planing they're a full 7/8 thick.  The counter is random width planks, T&G with a 1/4 inch bead worked in -- boxed wooden plane for that.  The apothecary drawers on the side wall -- yes, I did them all, and fitted them individually, so each drawer has a number corresponding to the slot it fits into.  An old wooden nosing plane edged the counter top.

Wow!  Nice job Branson!  Wow!  Did I say "Wow" already?  That's a lot of hand planing to thickness, and when you get wood like that for a project, you certainly must do things right the first time.  You called the project "amusing."  I'd call it an "enjoyable challenge."  Well done.  What kind of shape were the planks in when you got them?  Did you use winding sticks to get them flat?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:49:24 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »
While we're still sort of close to the topic of core box planes, here's the Stanley #56:

Produced between 1906 and 1923, this plane can make semi circle arcs between 9/16" and 2".  In order to get the plane started in a block of wood, the user had to first cut a small groove the length of the core blank in order to create a track for the "V" sole of the plane to ride along during the first few passes.  The #56 was always finished with black japanning, unlike its larger sibling, the #57 (see above), which was usually (but not always) finished with nickel plating.  I don't believe the #56 was an overly successful product for Stanley.  It was so specialized for a particular type of work, that it really wasn't a plane that the masses wanted or needed, so they didn't sell, and production was limited at best.  As a result, they're relatively rare in any condition.

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:51:48 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Branson

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
Wow!  Nice job Branson!  Wow!  Did I say "Wow" already?  That's a lot of hand planing to thickness, and when you get wood like that for a project, you certainly must do things right the first time.  You called the project "amusing."  I'd call it an "enjoyable challenge."  Well done.  What kind of shape were the planks in when you got them?  Did you use winding sticks to get them flat?
Jim C.

the amusing part came when I pointed out that all 20 inches were a single plank, one board.  People didn't think trees came that wide any more or something.  Had the resaw split the 8/4 in half, making the planks very close to 1 inch net, so the planing was only surfacing.  Still it was a lot of pine, since there were two step back hutches and a gun rack.  More amusement -- the sides of the step backs were also single planks, and 24 inches wide.
I used a lumber broker who insisted on excellent woods, so the 8/4 was straight, and not case hardened so the 1 inch resaw planks were dead on.  All I had to do was give them a good hand planed surface.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »
Branson,

Nice work and some nice planing too!  It took me a while to figure out that working with wide planks required hand planes.  Even narrow planks can be more easily dimensioned with the right planes.  Not everyone has a 20"+ planer in their shop.  Even having a machine like that won't take the twist or cupping out of a board without the assistance of some planes and winding sticks.  Good job!

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:18:13 PM by Jim C. »

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2014, 01:25:34 AM »
Wow!! that is beautiful work!!! The talent in this forum amazes me...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Branson

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »
> Not everyone has a 20"+ planer in their shop.  Even having a machine like that won't take the twist or cupping out of a board without the assistance of some planes and winding sticks.  Good job!

Jim C.   

LOL!  At that time we had two 30 inch planers in the shop.  Monsters that would take off a half inch at a time, and would open to 18 inches.  25 horse motors that ran at 65 amps, 75 amp start up.  But our jointers were only 16 inches wide...  Nothing like tossing 2000 board feet of rough lumber through those planers.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2014, 07:06:05 AM »
I like the hinges on the gate.  Did you have a hand in those?

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
> Not everyone has a 20"+ planer in their shop.  Even having a machine like that won't take the twist or cupping out of a board without the assistance of some planes and winding sticks.  Good job!

Jim C.   

LOL!  At that time we had two 30 inch planers in the shop.  Monsters that would take off a half inch at a time, and would open to 18 inches.  25 horse motors that ran at 65 amps, 75 amp start up.  But our jointers were only 16 inches wide...  Nothing like tossing 2000 board feet of rough lumber through those planers.

Hey Branson,

I could have used one of those planers!  My first real life experience with hand planes came from "last ditch effort" necessity.  When I was a young, over confident, and an unknowingly ill prepared woodworker (of sorts), I promised my wife that I'd make an island for our kitchen.  She didn't want a box, she wanted something that looked a little more like furniture.  So, I took some measurements and made some drawings.  I had access to a pretty good supply of rough sawn Michigan lumber so we decided that the top of the island should be a dark accent color.  Walnut.  A couple weeks later, six 8/4 planks were sitting in my shop.  Each was roughly seven or eight inches wide and eight feet long.  The planks were twisted and in the rawest of condition.  I wanted to get them down to an 1 1/2" thick, 5" wide and 65" long.  The plan was to edge join them together for the island top.  Well, the only way to remove stock, so I thought, was to break out my little Delta 12" bench top planer.  To make a long story short, as I fed the first plank into the machine, taking a VERY light pass, I soon realized that my little planer was no match for the walnut and would probably not survive the project.  Not to mention the fact that the plank came out the other end of the machine just as twisted as it was but only a little bit thinner.  All I remember thinking was, "#@#%&!!!!!  Now what am I gonna do?"  I couldn't afford a heavy duty planer, and I realized that even with a better planer, the stock was still going to be twisted if I didn't flatten out one side of it before it went into the planer.

I pondered the predicament I was in and suddenly realized that years ago, most woodworkers didn't have a mechanical planer, yet they still managed to make amazing things with "HAND TOOLS!!!!"  The heavens opened, angels were singing, and rays of sunlight shown upon my little shop.  I needed a hand plane.  At the time I hand a very dull, seldom used Sears block plane and that was it.  Once I knew what I needed, I did some research, made some telephone calls and eventually concluded that I needed a scrub plane and a low angle jack plane for starters.  With those two planes, I would be able to flatten the planks.  Again, making a long story short, I bought the planes, learned how to sharpen their irons, and practiced with them on scrap wood for a few days.  It was a life changing experience out in the shop.  To finish the island top, I eventually bought a #4 1/2 smoother.  I've been hooked on hand planes ever since.

Jim C.       
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:26:20 PM by Jim C. »

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:23 AM »
Branson, I know that you were a bunch younger then, but that much hand planing had to mean some sore shoulders the next morning. Kudos for the woodwork! It is beautiful. Can we see photos of your new shed?  Last I knew, it was still an idea and a fist fight with the zoning committee.

WOW Table top Jim. That too is a bunch of hand work.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:28:38 AM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
I like the hinges on the gate.  Did you have a hand in those?

Nah.  The State bought those from a blacksmith in North Carolina.

Offline Branson

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
Branson, I know that you were a bunch younger then, but that much hand planing had to mean some sore shoulders the next morning. Kudos for the woodwork! It is beautiful. Can we see photos of your new shed?  Last I knew, it was still an idea and a fist fight with the zoning committee.

Been thinking about the new shop pics, but the inside is still a nightmare.  Outside looks good, though.

Honestly, I don't remember sore shoulders from all the planing, but then, I was doing a lot of hand planing at the time.  What I remember vividly was the time I spent 7 hours a day for 14 1/2 days hand adzing beams.  Carried an Arkansas stone in my hip pocket to keep the adz sharp.  Lost two inches around my waist and added two inches across my shoulders with that bit of work.  Haven't done it since.