Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 324635 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »
that is a very wonderful private, cared for museum owned & managed by Les.

very nice, Frank

Yes, I completely agree, and hope that we'll get to see more of it in the future.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
Oh so now its BOTH Jim and Les sandbagging!! heehehe
 Those pictures were a tease!  I couldn't see a damn thing.
 A broadside of a room or the glare of glass over tools, from 2 miles away! WhattamI I the Amazing Kreskin?

Dudes, give it up!! Show some tools.

And you... Les?? Bottles? You have a bottle and a jar and a jug?
These are local to you? Family ancestors? What?
 You can't tease me with bottles!!
The jug is newish, made after 1900. I can't see the jar but the bottle looks like an 1890-1900 blob top beer.

Dish it up you two!  If you need me to reduce the filesize of a few pictures?? Send them to my private email and I'll run them through Photoshop real quick.
 Same appearing picture on a computer screen, dramatically smaller file size.
So it can be shared around easily.
    Just ask.
    yours Scott   

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
If you click on the pictures they will enlarge. A few local bottles and a few hand me downs from the family. I have to open the cases and take individual pictures of the planes to post in this thread. The one bottle is from Seitz Brothers Brewery, used to be about 14 miles North of were I live.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »
......I have to open the cases and take individual pictures of the planes to post in this thread......

That would be GREAT!!!

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2014, 10:21:40 PM »
Oh so now its BOTH Jim and Les sandbagging!!.......   

Hi Scottg,

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I've been sand bagging.  Okay, I will admit that to some extent I have been holding back a few less common planes that I will eventually feature, but I can't show you everything all at once.  That would take all the fun out of it.  Right?  To be honest, I'm hoping that others will also feature some of their planes here.  I certainly appreciate the planes you've shared with us, but as the thread progresses, I'm learning that several of the "regulars" here have a lot to offer.  Wouldn't you agree?  I think it would be great to have some different content that goes beyond my Stanley stuff.  Les's plows are a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  The thread was purposely and simply entitled "Hand Planes," not "Jim C.'s Hand Planes." Everyone is welcome and encouraged to post pictures and content regarding planes in their shops and collections.

Jim C.           
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:23:11 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #290 on: May 01, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »
Conrad Jensen do-it-all in one plane, Patent Number 126707, Patented May 14, 1872. Some examples are marked this one isn't but you can't mistake it for anything other then this patent. Specialty plane that can be used as a Dado, Fillister or a Rabbet Plane. These are the only views that I have loaded at this time. The one picture is of the plane in it's home, a Lexan box to help keep the dust and dirt off of it. As you can see it lives with my Sandusky Tool 141 Ivory tipped Center Wheel Plow Plane, that will be another post some day. The Jensen is a hard to find plane and has been found made in Rosewood. Martin Donnelly has one coming up in one of his Fall Auctions and I am waiting to see what it sells for as the auction estimate is a lot higher than what I expected.

I am a collector not a user like many of you are. I guess the idea didn't sell all that great as there aren't very many around anymore.

Offline Branson

« Reply #291 on: May 01, 2014, 07:40:27 AM »
Conrad Jensen do-it-all in one plane, Patent Number 126707, Patented May 14, 1872.

Oh dang!  There's one of these at a local antique shop -- minus the wedges and blades.  Suppose I could make those...
I'm going to ask the price...

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #292 on: May 01, 2014, 09:17:46 AM »
Conrad Jensen do-it-all in one plane, Patent Number 126707, Patented May 14, 1872. Some examples are marked this one isn't but you can't mistake it for anything other then this patent. Specialty plane that can be used as a Dado, Fillister or a Rabbet Plane. These are the only views that I have loaded at this time. The one picture is of the plane in it's home, a Lexan box to help keep the dust and dirt off of it. As you can see it lives with my Sandusky Tool 141 Ivory tipped Center Wheel Plow Plane, that will be another post some day. The Jensen is a hard to find plane and has been found made in Rosewood. Martin Donnelly has one coming up in one of his Fall Auctions and I am waiting to see what it sells for as the auction estimate is a lot higher than what I expected.

I am a collector not a user like many of you are. I guess the idea didn't sell all that great as there aren't very many around anymore.

GREAT post Les!!  What a beauty!  Thanks for sharing one of your plow planes with the rest of us.  I was hoping for some diversity in the thread.  Seriously, I really do appreciate it, and I think the others do too.  I know so little about plows.  I see them around in various states of condition all the time, but I've never pulled the trigger on one.  I guess it's like anything else, it takes some education and experience to become a smart buyer/collector/user.  Just based on the little that I saw in your previous photos, you're obviously an advanced collector, with some real experience.  How long have you been collecting plow planes?  Do you have any "users" that you've been able to try out?  I hope you'll share more of your collection in the future.  From a purely selfish perspective, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your plow planes and learning something about each one.  I think we'll all be watching for your next post.

Jim C.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #293 on: May 01, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
THAT'S IT!!!!!! I'm BEYOND jealous!!!!!!! My planes look like crap now!  Thanks a lot!
cheers,
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #294 on: May 01, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
I've been collecting for over 20 years, at the high point I had about 130 plow planes in cabinets/cases in my tool room. I have since down sized a bit I have about 90 and will try and get down to around 75 in order to make room for wrenches and other items.

I haven't driven any yet, just never wanted to as I enjoy their design and all the different individual maker's ideas and way of making them. A lot of the different makers had their own adjusting nut profiles, fence profiles and even screw arm to fence mount profiles.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #295 on: May 01, 2014, 12:03:14 PM »
I've been collecting for over 20 years, at the high point I had about 130 plow planes in cabinets/cases in my tool room. I have since down sized a bit I have about 90 and will try and get down to around 75 in order to make room for wrenches and other items.

I haven't driven any yet, just never wanted to as I enjoy their design and all the different individual maker's ideas and way of making them. A lot of the different makers had their own adjusting nut profiles, fence profiles and even screw arm to fence mount profiles.

Wow, what a collection Les!  I know that I've asked a few times now, so I hope you'll keep featuring your plow planes.  No pressure..... (well maybe a little bit).  As you downsize, please feature those that will be leaving the "herd."  Who knows when we'll get a chance to see them again.  To be honest, I hope you'll feature all 90 of them, one by one.  Again, no pressure.....

Jim C. 

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #296 on: May 01, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
THAT'S IT!!!!!! I'm BEYOND jealous!!!!!!! My planes look like crap now!  Thanks a lot!
cheers,
bird

Bird,

The thread is a about "Hand Planes."  Not just "Museum Quailty Hand Planes." ALL hand planes!!  I think it's safe to say that all of us are interested in seeing and hearing about planes that are still out in the shop working every day.  Feature one of your favorite planes.  Take a few photos, tell us where/how you acquired it, and most importantly, show us/tell us how you use it to make the things you make.  Okay? 

Jim C. 

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #297 on: May 04, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
Over the years, I’ve been fortunate to have access to a nearly unlimited supply of Michigan grown hardwoods, to include maple, oak, cherry, poplar and walnut.  An older gentleman I know has a mobile sawmill, and has thus made a pretty good living sawing logs, and stickering lumber from trees that were purposely cut down, or fell during storms, etc.   For next to nothing when compared to commercial operators, he’ll cut the log to order and store it on his farm indefinitely.  It’s beautiful, and in many instances, old growth wood, perfect for making heirloom projects.  Working with wood like that is very rewarding.  Starting with a material in its most raw state, and transforming it into a unique one of a kind object, is a very satisfying, and sometimes challenging journey.  I say challenging because those planks are never flat and ready to start cutting into.  After it dries, it’s cupped, twisted, warped and rough.  Simply running it through a powered electric surface planer will produce nothing more than a thinner plank that’s still cupped, twisted and warped.  It may be smoother but it’s not flat.  In order to get a rough plank ready to go through a powered planer, one face must be pretty darn close to flat.  The high spots, and twist must be manually removed from one face, allowing it to stay flat on the planer bed as it is fed through the machine.  In the end, you’ll have two parallel faces that are flat and ready for cutting into various project parts. The most efficient and fastest way to get that first face flat and ready for the surface planer is by utilizing a specialized hand plane.         

Stanley #40:

The scrub plane is nothing novel or unique in woodworking.  Some version of manufactured, or craftsman made scrub plane has been around for decades.  Generally speaking, the scrub plane is almost as common as any plane I can think of, to include a simple block plane or a #4 smoother.  It’s a plane that I’d put on my “must have” list.  If one is doing any sort of moderate to serious woodworking, and starting with rough cut stock as I described above, then the first or possibly the second tool to come into contact with the plank will be a scrub plane.  There’s no way around it.  By setting the #40 for a moderate cut and running it across the work piece at 45 degrees to the direction of the grain, the high spots can be knocked off rather fast.  On a twisted board that rocks when placed on a flat surface, simply taking down the “offending” opposite corners usually does the trick.  By planing at 45 degrees in one direction, and then in the other, the plank starts to lay flat.  Making passes at 45 degrees prevents any significant tear out.  With a little further clean up using a #5 jack plane, you’ll have one flat face that’s ready to lay on the bed of a surface planer.

It’s easy to see that the scrub plane is not a finishing tool.  Its throat is wide enabling thick shavings to pass through without clogging.  The iron is purposely ground with a slight arc, leaving a scalloped finish on the work piece.  (Notice the arc as compared to the straight edge of the machinist square.) The arc keeps the iron from digging in at its corners thus making it capable of removing a lot of stock very quickly.  The plane itself is very simply constructed for heavy duty work.  It has a thick iron and its main casting is such that the frog is cast as part of the body itself.  It’s one of the few bench style planes japanned both inside its main casting and outside.  I assume that was an effort made to protect the plane from rusting as a result of its intended rough life.  Stanley produced the #40 scrub plane from 1896 into the early 1960s.   The plane depicted below was most likely manufactured in the early 1960s near the end of its run in the Stanley product line.  Stanley also made a slightly larger scrub plane, the #40 1/2, from 1902 to 1947. 

Occasionally, I’ll receive a plane or two from neighbors, co-workers, relatives, friends, etc.  Very often, the story goes something like this:  “I have this old plane that belonged to my (dad, grandfather, uncle, father-in-law) and I have no use for it.  Do you want it?”  I say “Yes” every time!  This is one of those planes.  I actually received it from my neighbor across the street.  My neighbor’s father had passed away and the family was in the process of disposing of/dividing his estate.  My neighbor ended up with his father’s tools including this plane.  He didn’t want it and walked it over to my house.  I’ll admit that it was in rough condition when I received it, with some rust and decades worth of accumulated crud from sitting neglected in an unheated garage.  Upon initial inspection however, I was encouraged to see that its original knob and tote were solid.  Although the japanning is chipped, most of it was intact and consequently protected the plane, inside and outside, from major rust and pitting.  The exposed bare sole and cutting iron were a different story.  Still, with a little elbow grease and a couple quality hours out in the shop, it cleaned up nicely.  When I start a new woodworking project, it's usually the first plane I pick up and use.

Jim C.           
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:31:13 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »
Two more views of the Conrad Jensen plane I posted last week.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #299 on: May 05, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
Thanks for the additional photos Les!  What a great looking plane.  I'm going to keep my eye out for an old wooden plow.  I think I'd like to try one out. 

Jim C.