Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 324501 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #555 on: February 24, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
At the expense of making more enemies I guess I have to make a few comments.  First, I agree with the posts and the comments about those that collect mainly Stanley planes.  However, many other manufacturers made good planes and most of them did a creditable job even if that job was not fine furniture.  I started collecting planes after I ran out of wrenches I could afford.  I now have a couple hundred planes and if it is nice that is the way it stays.  However, if it is rusty with lots of chipping I will restore it to a level that lost me a friend who feels I shouldn't do what I do.  I'm a collector of makers, and thus I have many off brand somewhat uncommon planes others do not want.  So, what do I do to a junk plane?  First I completely disassemble it and then I put it on my coarse wire wheel and remove all the rust, paint and dirt on the bare steel parts.  Then I apply blue painting tape to those portions being careful to cut the tape to cover all the surface to prevent any damage when I take it to my blasting cabinet.  I use Skat Blasé in my cabinet and take off all the japanning on the inside of the body.  The Skat Blasé leaves a surface that loves paint, and then I apply four to six coats of gloss black rust retarding paint which somewhat looks like japanning.  Then I clean up the rest of the parts as best I can and then sharpen the blade.  I determine the original angle as best as possible and use one of my angle blocks to hold the blade and run it on my belt sander.  Once the blade is trued and all nicks removed I finish it on an oil stone.  I feel that I'm saving many uncommon planes for posterity while my ex friend thinks I'm a butthead.  Oh yes, I am a woodworker and do use a number of planes in my shop. 

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #556 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »
No need to apologize for your methods. They are your planes and you restore them to your own liking. The fact that you also use many of them is in your favor.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #557 on: February 24, 2015, 06:36:20 PM »
Coolford, Interesting post, I started my serious collecting just the opposite. I started collecting screw arm plow planes. I was up to about 130 and the prices kept rising and I started looking on the dark side as one of my acquaintances once told me. I started collecting wrenches because the quick adjust wrenches caught my eye. I now have over 300 wrenches in my collection but like plow planes I am beginning to spend to much on them and I have to slow down or else sell the house. Regardless, no mater how you take care of your collectable tools not everyone will agree with you. As far as I am concerned as long as you don't paint a covered bridge on them or drill a hole in them to make a lamp they can still be useable and collectable to future collectors or users.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #558 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »
At the expense of making more enemies I guess I have to make a few comments.  First, I agree with the posts and the comments about those that collect mainly Stanley planes.  However, many other manufacturers made good planes and most of them did a creditable job even if that job was not fine furniture.  I started collecting planes after I ran out of wrenches I could afford.  I now have a couple hundred planes and if it is nice that is the way it stays.  However, if it is rusty with lots of chipping I will restore it to a level that lost me a friend who feels I shouldn't do what I do.  I'm a collector of makers, and thus I have many off brand somewhat uncommon planes others do not want.  So, what do I do to a junk plane?  First I completely disassemble it and then I put it on my coarse wire wheel and remove all the rust, paint and dirt on the bare steel parts.  Then I apply blue painting tape to those portions being careful to cut the tape to cover all the surface to prevent any damage when I take it to my blasting cabinet.  I use Skat Blasé in my cabinet and take off all the japanning on the inside of the body.  The Skat Blasé leaves a surface that loves paint, and then I apply four to six coats of gloss black rust retarding paint which somewhat looks like japanning.  Then I clean up the rest of the parts as best I can and then sharpen the blade.  I determine the original angle as best as possible and use one of my angle blocks to hold the blade and run it on my belt sander.  Once the blade is trued and all nicks removed I finish it on an oil stone.  I feel that I'm saving many uncommon planes for posterity while my ex friend thinks I'm a butthead.  Oh yes, I am a woodworker and do use a number of planes in my shop.

Hi coolford,

Thanks for visiting the thread and more importantly, thanks for jumping in with both feet!!  I really appreciate the feedback and I absolutely respect the fact that you took the time to post your opinion.  ANY hand plane enthusiast is WELCOME HERE!!!  I sincerely hope that you don't see yourself as an enemy or foe, because I certainly don't.  I started the thread for those who collect, use, make, restore, and have an interest in hand planes.  That's pretty much it.  The only thing I ask is that the conversation stays related to hand planes.  If it strays a little that's okay too.  Just try to keep it about hand planes.

As for restoring old planes, well, that's a matter of personal choice.  I'm sorry your friend doesn't see it that way.  If you're using them, enjoying them and preserving them, then more power to you.  If you've read through the thread, you know that I'm mostly a Stanley collector.  A good majority of my "user" quality planes are Stanleys with a few Sargents and Lie Nielsens mixed in.  It's not been my habit to do full restorations to the old planes I come across, as I prefer them to look their age and show their patina, regardless of how advanced the "patina" may be.  I'll give them a gentle cleaning but that's about it.  When I feature a plane in the thread, I like to pick the best one that I have for purposes of clarity, and so that readers can see what the tool looked like and how it was equipped when it left Stanley's factory.  That's how I enjoy the hobby.  If we disagree on some things, then so be it.  Live and let live.  One thing is for sure, we both like hand planes, so I hope you'll keep stopping by the thread, and furthermore, I hope you'll contribute more to the conversation.  I'd love to see and hear about a restoration from start to finish.  Take us through the steps with some photos and commentary.  You also mentioned having some lesser known planes.  I'd really appreciate seeing them and learning more about them.  With a couple hundred planes in your collection, I invite you to share a few with us.  So, thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll continue to add some content here at the Hand Plane thread.

Jim C.               
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:50:22 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Branson

« Reply #559 on: February 25, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
However, if it is rusty with lots of chipping I will restore it to a level that lost me a friend who feels I shouldn't do what I do.  I'm a collector of makers, and thus I have many off brand somewhat uncommon planes others do not want.  So, what do I do to a junk plane? 

A friend lost because you pretty up junk planes wasn't much of a friend, IMO.   Even a user-only Stanley isn't above being made back into a pretty plane is no problem as far as I'm concerned.  My current favorite #5 (a type 8) had been given a coat of maroon paint at some time in its life.  Nobody wanted it on eBay, so for about $9 I got a plane that loves to work! 

What do you do?  Why, you make a rusty unloved junker into a good looking working tool.  Who's to complain about that?  Someone doesn't
like it?  Let them buy it from you to preserve the rust.

Welcome to the world of workers with tools.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #560 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »
However, if it is rusty with lots of chipping I will restore it to a level that lost me a friend who feels I shouldn't do what I do.  I'm a collector of makers, and thus I have many off brand somewhat uncommon planes others do not want.  So, what do I do to a junk plane? 

A friend lost because you pretty up junk planes wasn't much of a friend, IMO.   Even a user-only Stanley isn't above being made back into a pretty plane is no problem as far as I'm concerned.  My current favorite #5 (a type 8) had been given a coat of maroon paint at some time in its life.  Nobody wanted it on eBay, so for about $9 I got a plane that loves to work! 

What do you do?  Why, you make a rusty unloved junker into a good looking working tool.  Who's to complain about that?  Someone doesn't
like it?  Let them buy it from you to preserve the rust.

Welcome to the world of workers with tools.

Exactly.  Enjoy old tools and hand planes the way YOU want to enjoy them.......(just make sure to include us!!).  :smiley:

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #561 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »
Thanx for the posts, I feel a little better now.  My planes and I are not together at the moment but will be soon.  I picked up a wood plane with H. Harron, N. York stamped on the end last week for $5.00, great condition but missing the blade.  I have a blade that fits.  Is anyone familiar with this maker??

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #562 on: February 25, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
Coolford, there is a R. Harron listed that was a plane maker active from 1843-1844 at 182 Chrystie St New York City The 1850 census showed him having 3 employees and making 1200 planes worth $2100 annually. He is believed to have had a son that was also a plane maker from 1863-1917 also from New York. Info found in American Wooden Planes 4th edition.

2 line mark  R. HARRON
                  N. YORK
and a single line mark R. HARRON

Both marks rated as frequently found.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #563 on: February 25, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »
Thanks Les.  You're way ahead of me when it comes to wooden planes and plow planes.  Good info.

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
Thanx!  Did not realize it might be that old.  As I mentioned, I collect makers, and I did not have this one.  Plane is nice with original finish, will not touch this one.  When I get the picture sizing figured out I will start sending some pictures.  Coolford is actually a nosed and decked 1956 Mercury Montclair hardtop.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
......When I get the picture sizing figured out I will start sending some pictures......

That would be great!!!  I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say, "We like pictures!"

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
I was out in my shop last night tinkering with an old 1948 Delta Unisaw.  While moving a few things around on my work bench in order to accommodate some heavy cast iron table saw parts, I noticed a little block plane that I’ve been using on and off for several years.  I bought this plane a long time ago from a serious collector who was in the process of downsizing.  Looking back, I think I over paid a little for it, but looking back again, I can say that it’s been one of my favorites to use and worth every penny.

Stanley #60:

In case you haven’t heard me say it before, Stanley made dozens of block plane patterns during its golden years of hand plane production.  In my opinion, some of the best ones to use featured an iron bedded at a low angle and an adjustable throat.  The #60 has both.  As I very distinctly recall, I was initially attracted to this plane because of its nickel-plated pressure cap and throat adjustment screw.  I’m kind of a sucker for nickel-plating on hand planes.  I really like the look of it when contrasted against the black japanning of other parts.  Believe it or not, Stanley also made a #60 ½ block plane, which was identical to the #60, but for the fact that the pressure cap is finished in black japanning and the throat adjustment screw is made of brass.

I like the #60 not only for some of its physical features and its overall esthetics, but also for its size.  At just six inches long and about one and one half inches wide, it seems to fit into my hand perfectly.  Prior to writing this post, I picked the plane up and held it for a minute or two.  As my hand warmed the pressure cap and indents on the side of the body, it just felt good.  Every now and then I’ll find a tool that just feels exactly right, and the #60 is one of them.

Stanley manufactured the #60 block plane between 1898 and 1950.  The example depicted below is a Type 5 that was produced at some point between 1924 and 1930.  As you can see in the last photo, the #60 was so popular and functional that it inspired later manufacturers (Lie Nielsen in this case) to make their own versions.

Jim C.       
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:10:53 PM by Jim C. »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:46 PM »
I have to agree with you Jim, the No 60 is a nice little plane that really seems to fit my hand quite well, as I mentioned before my collection is now packed up but I have kept out a few to use and a Number 60 is in  that group. Yours looks to be be in nice condition, mine is quite rough in physical appearance but it still is one of my favorite users. We have finally found a house after 2 years of looking and we get possession in a couple of weeks. The house needs a lot of work so it will be a while before I have my stuff sorted out. The shop is what sold me on the place it's 25' x 42' inside dimensions with a 15' ceiling and a small mezzanine floor 6' x 25' with a small 6' x 6' room with a toilet and sink tucked into a corner under the raised floor. No stairs up to the upper level, no workbenches, no cupboards ,no shelves but that's good, now I can build what I want. I'll post some pics when we are given the keys.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »
Hi gibson,

Thanks for checking in.  I was wondering how things went in terms of packing up your massive hand plane collection.  I'm glad to hear you have everything under control.  When you get your new shop set up, and a few planes on the shelves, definitely post a few pictures!  Good luck with your move.

Jim C.

Offline Branson

« Reply #569 on: March 09, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
>  Believe it or not, Stanley also made a #60 ½ block plane, which was identical to the #60, but for the fact that the pressure cap is finished in black japanning and the throat adjustment screw is made of brass.

Oh, I believe it.  I have at least one of each.  Um, and a few others...  I'm just a sucker for block planes.  I've kept finding them for around $5 apiece, and sometimes even less.  And I keep finding them in odd places where I have squirrelled the odd one away.   Dependable little workhorses!