Author Topic: Shopcraft Drill  (Read 3255 times)

Offline EdK

Shopcraft Drill
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:16:52 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to this site and came across it when searching for parts for my Shopcraft Drill model 9750T1.

I found another thread that looks like it talks about the same drill but the model number is 975011 so I'm not sure if that was a typo.  Anyway, I wanted to reply to the thread (last activity was 2017) and I received a message stating that I might want to consider starting a new thread since the other one was so old.  So here I am.

Anyway, I recently lost the chuck key for this drill and have searched the internet high and low to see if I could find parts but with no success.  I did find a site that describes how to determine what kind of chuck key it needs by reading the numbers on the chuck but it's a bit scratched up and I can't tell what it is.

The drill used to be my fathers who passed away back in 1984 and I don't know how long he had it (he was born in 1912) so I'm assuming he purchased it brand new probably in the 1960 or early 70's.

I'm assuming I might be able to find an appropriate chuck key at a hardware store but was wondering if anyone here can tell me a bit more about the drill.

It still works and I use it when I need to drill into concrete, etc as its pretty heavy duty. 
BTW- I'm not a contractor or anything like that. Just a plain simple homeowner that like to putz around with odds and ends projects and repairs whenever I can.

I attached a couple pictures of the drill.

Thanks!  Ed 

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Shopcraft Drill
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:41:04 PM »
Welcome to Tool Talk !

I would take the drill to a pawn shop that might have a bin full of chuck keys and find one that fits.

Otherwise - https://www.hunker.com/13415994/how-to-size-chuck-keys
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline EdK

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 09:51:57 PM »
Thanks!

Pawn shop?  Never would have crossed my mind.  Interesting. I'll give it a try. 
Thanks!

Ed

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 05:21:00 AM »
Hello, EdK. Welcome to Tool Talk from chilly Central New York. Per Papaw's post; Can you measure the hole in the chuck that the key would be inserted?  I have a bin of old chucks I could paw through. No, this isn't a Pawn Shop, but sometimes it resembles one  :cheesy: Also, was it a T-shaped chuck, or, an L-shaped chuck ? Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:24:05 AM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline EdK

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 06:42:04 AM »
Hi Lptools,

The diameter of the hole is 1/4 inch.  I confirmed this by inserting the butt end of a drill bit into the hole.

Tried 5/16 but that was to big.

It was an L shaped key like the picture I attached.

Thanks...Ed (S.Florida)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 07:19:36 AM »
Thanks, I will take a look!! Regards, Lou

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 07:45:37 AM »
Hello, Ed. All of these have a 1/4" pilot. The gear head diameters are considerably different. The smallest one, ( L-shaped key) stamped S-80 , seems too small for a 1/2" chuck. The largest one, is unmarked. 2nd from left is stamped Jacobs 7 and K7. 3rd from left is stamped S #2. Maybe someone on here recognizes these markings. I will look around for a 1/2" chuck, (although there are many variations) to see if one of these keys fit. Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:14:18 AM by lptools »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »
I had a similar problem with a generic drill press.  I just bought up every key I saw that appeared to be close to the correct size. 
It's amazing how many sizes and shapes they take.  Eventually I got one that fit. 
Hope you're not in a hurry.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »
well, without trying to make it more confusing (which the manufacturers seem to have done well, themselves...)   :tongue:

i saved off this chart

http://www.lfachucks.com/reichel-chuck-keys.html

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 05:28:50 PM »
Yeah those older ShopCraft drills were bulldogs! I stumbled upon a 1/4"er at a garage sale, and loved it so much I hunted for a 3/8"er to join it. Finally found a suitable one off the bay. Disassembled, cleaned, re-greased and now they are in storage for apocalyptic duty.
Non-reversible (mine are) and no 3-prong plug (so if it shorts out you get message real quick) but absolutely stout drills. I can't post pics as they're on the other computer which is currently at the computer dudes house getting fixed. But ZI'll try and post some when I get it back next week.
Ratchet Guru