Author Topic: Farriers Tool ?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline rustyric

Farriers Tool ?
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:41:42 AM »
Found at local car boot sale this week, I think its a farriers tool of some sort.

Offline Northwoods

Re: Farriers Tool ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »
Looks like an early attempt at a vise grip wrench.  :-)
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline geneg

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 12:13:00 PM »
Looks like some sort of a spring compresser.  Not for engine valves with the bulkiness, but something that would be repetitive once set up. 

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 02:04:15 PM »
Yes, farriers could use this to put caulks onto horseshoes, before installing on the hoof.  Great because of the repetitive capability.  There is another vise, sometimes called a caulking vise that was much heavier, and foot operated.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »
I am with John K on this one.  Is there a name on it?  It might have been made by Champion Tool Co. (the predecessor to Champion DeArment, which then became Channellock).

Offline rustyric

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 03:40:24 AM »
Sorry no name at the moment, I will clean it up and let you know. What are caulks ?

Offline geneg

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 05:45:56 AM »
I absolutely retract my spring compressor guess.  Calk installers!  Somewhere I have a wrench from Diamond (Calk, Horseshoe, Tool) Co. Calks were used to increase traction like tire studs or chains.  The calks are the inserts in the horseshoe.       

FROM ALLOY ARTIFACTS:
   http://alloy-artifacts.org/Photos/tools/diamond_oe18_wrench_calk_f_cropped_inset.jpg
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:54:35 AM by geneg »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 08:38:53 AM »
Caulks, right.  In the horse drawn days, they were absolutely necessary for traction on ice or frozen ground.  If your work horse fell pulling a load, could break something and be put down.  Which could put you out of business.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:10:42 AM »
So , some of the calks are pressed in? The ones I have here are threaded. The wrench is marked Neverslip, but does not fit the calks here. I have always yhought of it as a Calk Wrench, but I have been wrong before!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rustyric

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:42:41 AM »
Great help thanks for your answer

Offline p_toad

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 05:43:55 PM »
Calks also get used on loggers boots (or used to, haven't gone there in a while)...   rumor is that it caused all kinds of trouble in bars as the calks tore up the floor (kind of like the old metal ones in tires tearing up pavement).

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 01:09:38 PM »
lptools, your "Neverslip" wrench is indeed a calk wrench.

Neverslip / Neverslip Mfg. Co / Neverslip Works, Hamilton & Neilson St., New Brunswick, NJ / patent 588438 Aug 17 1897 J.W. Johnson & R. Whitaker / http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=10699 / https://wrenchwiki.com/neverslip-manufacturing-company/ / https://www.datamp.org//patents/displayPatent.php?pn=588438&id=22132

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 06:47:37 AM »
Thanks for the info!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
Shoot, guys, I never would have pegged the OP's tool as a farriers tool.  :embarrassed:
Ratchet Guru

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
Quote from: john k
In the horse drawn days, they were absolutely necessary for traction on ice or frozen ground.

In the big cities of the day  - New York, Boston, Philadelphia - the number of horse-drawn vehicles would have been enormous. Every one of those horses had caulks affixed to their shoes in winter weather.
Poring through old catalogs and trade journals, one will find hundreds of advertisements for horseshoes, horse nails, caulks, and devices for attaching them. It was big business.
The shops that tended to the horses were the tire shops of the day. Kind of hard to get your head wrapped around it in the current era.