Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321364 times)

Online Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #525 on: January 23, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
Well, it happened again.  I'm going through my storage unit, getting a look at a lot of things I forgot I had (still haven't found my 40 1/2 scrub plane GRRRR).  I finally got a good look in one old carpenter's tool chest, which mostly contained wrenches and metal odds and ends.  Digging through the bottom, I found two more block planes.  They may have come with the chest.  One Stanley that I have to figure which one it is, and a slightly shorter made by Union.  Like the Stanley, it has an adjustable throat, but unlike any other I've seen, there is no adjusting lever for the throat piece.  Any information about Union block planes?  I haven't tried it out yet because the throat piece is frozen with light rust and I'm waiting for the Break Free to loosen it up.  The Stanley is just as rusty, but I managed to give it a test, and it's still sharp enough to work.

Pictures my friend, pictures!!
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Branson

« Reply #526 on: January 24, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
Pictures my friend, pictures!!

Pictures will have to wait until a) I can afford a camera, or b) my stepson comes home from college.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #527 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
Hey Branson,

Don't worry about the pictures.  Still, as a regular visitor here, you know that I'm at least going to ask for them!!  So what about your Union block plane?  That's an interesting detail... no throat adjustment lever.  I even hate to ask, but are you sure there's not a little hole right behind the front knob/finger rest that may have gotten muddled or unnoticed in the plane's patina/light surface rust?  A little hole there would accommodate the adjustment lever's post, and suggest that a lever or adjustment mechanism was there at one time.  I don't have a Union block plane, and I can't say that I'm too familiar with them, but if your plane was manufactured without that lever, I'd guess that it might be an early version that was made before such levers were popular (or invented)..... ?????  Anyway, I included a few photos of a typical Stanley block plane (#18) so that others can see what we're talking about.  It just seems like if a plane were made with an adjustable throat, its designers would have incorporated a way to make such adjustments.  I'd love to see it since I've not seen something like that before.  I'll keep poking around to see if I can find out what you have there.  Unfortunately I don't have many reference materials pertaining to Union hand planes, and I'm not finding much on the internet either.

(As a side note, Stanley did make a #10 1/2 bench rabbet plane with an adjustable throat.  I think the first version of the #10 1/2 was produced in 1885.  To adjust the throat, the front knob was simply loosened and moved forward or backwards.  The knob was threaded into the front of the plane's sole through an elongated hole in the plane's body, so as the knob was moved by the craftsperson, the front of the sole moved with it thus opening or closing the throat.  What I'm getting at is that there was no adjustment lever on the #10 1/2 even though its throat was adjustable.  Later versions of the #10 1/2 had a fixed throat.)

Jim C.       
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:06:13 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Branson

« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:14 AM »
I really am going to have to get a photo of this plane.  I just went out to the shop to check for that hole to be really certain, and yep, no hole.  But
there's another oddity, something I've not seen before.  The cam lock for the cap  is Japanned and it extends out the back, behind the palm rest.

I drenched the throat plate with Break Free a couple of days ago and freed the plate yesterday.  Everything very tight there.  Gave it a try, and the blade is still sharp enough to do some work.   Surprising, as the edge is as black with age as the rest of the plane.  It's a pretty little thing that I am going to enjoy using.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
I really am going to have to get a photo of this plane........

Okay, you said it this time, not me!  (But I was thinking the same thing.)   It sounds like a really neat and unique little plane.  I'd love to see it.

Jim C.

Offline Branson

« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Okay, you said it this time, not me!  (But I was thinking the same thing.)   It sounds like a really neat and unique little plane.  I'd love to see it.
Jim C.

As luck would have it, Ray came to visit today and did grand things with his camera.   First the plane all together.  Second, disassembled: note the cam lever, and the lack of a hole for the throat lever.  Third, looks like it is still using the original blade. 

This one is going out on the bench where I will use it frequently!

Online Jim C.

« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2015, 02:04:04 PM »
Wow Branson!!  That's a VERY original looking plane.  Great patina.  I like that a lot.  It looks like the throat is adjusted exactly how I described it above regarding early versions of the Stanley #10 1/2..... The front knob is attached to the front part of the sole through an elongated hole in the body.  What a great old block plane!  Thanks for posting a few pictures!

Jim C. 

Offline Branson

« Reply #532 on: January 26, 2015, 04:47:14 PM »
What do you think of the long cam lock set *underneath* the cap?  I've never seen anything like it.

And yes, the throat is adjusted exactly as you described the #10 1/2 early versions.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2015, 07:13:31 AM »
What do you think of the long cam lock set *underneath* the cap?  I've never seen anything like it.

And yes, the throat is adjusted exactly as you described the #10 1/2 early versions.

Hi Branson,

Sorry I'm a little slow getting back to you.  I've been working some unusual hours the last few days.  Anyway, I'm with you on this one because I can't recall ever seeing a block plane with a pressure cap lever that is located beneath the cap itself.  No doubt it's a unique little plane for sure.  I wish I could tell you more about it.  Just looking at it, one can see that it certainly has some age to it, and it's about as original as can be.  Along with its unique features, I think I like it's originality the best.  I'll keep an eye out for any info that may come my way.  Because the plane is a little different than most block planes I've seen, I'm more likely to remember it when I'm out "hunting" or when some info comes my way.  If I do find another one, or some good information pertaining to it, I'll be sure to let you know.  Thanks again for posting a few pictures!

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #534 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »
I've been subscribing to Taunton's Fine Wood Working magazine for several years.  For the most part, I like the magazine, and over the years, it's provided me with some design ideas and smart construction techniques.  Every now and then, the craftspeople who write the articles include some comments/photos of various hand planes and other hand tools they use in the creation of their projects.  Occasionally an issue will feature an article dedicated to hand planes.  Well, yesterday I received the latest issue, April 2015, No. 246, and it included an article entitled, "4 Planes for Joinery".  The four planes featured are the shoulder, router, rabbet, and plow planes.  I like the article because it's relatively concise, describes each plane's setup, and their respective uses.  If you're already a Fine Wood Working subscriber, then maybe you've seen the article.  What did you think of it?  If you're not a subscriber but still a hand plane enthusiast, then this might be one issue to pick up at your local news stand.

Jim C.     

Offline Branson

« Reply #535 on: February 07, 2015, 07:27:27 AM »
I'll take a  look for a copy.  Thanks for the heads up.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #536 on: February 07, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
Hi Branson,

You know I frequently see current issues of Fine Wood Working (FWW) and a few other wood working, landscaping, decorating, home improvement magazines at the big box (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards) stores usually by the checkouts.  The piece itself is typical of many tool related articles, and some project articles that I find in each issue.  There's just enough information and photos to peak one's interest, and plant a few seeds of inspiration.  At the very least, I think the recent hand plane article in FWW has inspired my next featured plane here.  Stay tuned.

Jim C.   

Online Jim C.

« Reply #537 on: February 08, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
A couple days ago I mentioned that I had recently seen a pretty good hand plane related article in the most current issue of Fine Wood Working magazine.  One of the planes featured in the article was a plow plane.  Well, after I read the article I got to thinking that I hadn’t thoroughly featured a plow plane here on the Hand Plane thread yet.   Earlier in the thread, Les (Lewill2) was kind enough to show us several from his amazing collection, and I still really appreciate that.  Les, if you’re reading this, we're always happy to see more!  Anyway, today I thought I’d feature one of Stanley’s basic, yet most functional and reliable plow planes….. the #50.  I gave some thought as to how I’d like to present the plane to you, and concluded that with its collection of parts and cutters, it might be best to break the topic into two, or possibly three separate posts.  Although it’s not any where as complex as the #45 and/or #55 combination planes, the #50 is still worthy of more than a few pictures and one long winded explanation from me.  Also, the plane depicted below has a story.  Often times, I’ll buy a plane at an auction, or off of someone’s display table at a tool meet/show.  But not always.  That’s where the story begins……

Several years ago, not too long after I started chasing NOS planes, I was at an auction in the Midwest.  I had my eye on a few different planes and took my seat in the gallery with the other attendees.  I got into a couple scrums but dropped out when it became clear that two other guys wanted the planes more than I did, and furthermore, they were both willing to slug it out to the point of overpaying for them.  It’s not unusual to pay the hammer price plus an additional auctioneer’s premium of 10% - 15% at such events.  After missing out on a few good ones, and nearing the end of the auction, a gem mint, still in the box, japanned (think WWII version) #50 came up.  The bidding got under way with four or five of us going at it.  Well, eventually it boiled down to me and one other gentleman, and my ego had already carried my last bid beyond the plane’s actual value.  I looked across the room at my opponent, and as we made eye contact, he sort of smiled and then blurted out a number that was WELL beyond my determination to have the plane and beyond my budget.  It was definitely the knockout punch. So I had to let it go for two reasons.  First, I didn’t think the plane was worth going any higher (not to mention the additional 15% auctioneer’s premium) and second, I didn’t have the money in my pocket to go any higher.  (Looking back I guess that was a blessing.)  I was most certainly disappointed, but also a little relieved to be honest.  We both got a little round of applause and that was that.  Deflated, I sat through the rest of the auction and didn’t place another bid.

When the auction ended, I got up from my chair, said goodbye to a few friends and started heading for the door.  Two steps into the parking lot, an older man approached me and said he had been watching the auction.  He told me I was smart to let the other guy have that #50 and then asked if I had a second.  Sure.  So he lead me to a pretty tired looking pick up truck out in the lot with a cap over the bed.  I had no clue where he was going with this, other than the fact that he said he wanted to show me something.  We walked to the rear of the truck where he swung up the cap door and lowered the tailgate.  He then pulled back an old blanket and I could see a few good sized heavy duty cardboard boxes beneath it.  As he rooted through the boxes, I caught a glimpse of what I knew were Stanley boxes.  After just a few seconds, he turned around and handed me a box… a yellow Stanley box with a green label on it.  He closed up the back of the truck and told me, “Hang on to this.”  He walked past me, opened the driver’s side door and got in.  He started the truck, and backed out of the parking spot.  When he pulled even with where I was standing, he rolled down the window and told me to “take care of that.”  He pointed to the box in my hands and then just drove away.  I never saw that man again.  What he handed me is the #50 you see below.  A gem mint, NOS in the box, Type 9 (1936 – 1942) #50 Stanley plow plane.  He didn’t stick around long enough for me to get his name or to even thank him.  I regret that.  When I pull out this plane, I think of him and wonder why….. Then I wonder what ever became of that kind old man.

Stanley #50 (part 1):

In this post, I’d like to just introduce readers to the #50, which was manufactured by Stanley between 1884 and 1962.  Most were nickel plated except those made during WWII.  As we’ve discussed in the past, WWII versions of many traditionally nickel plated tools were japanned.  Over the years, the #50 was supplied with between seven and seventeen cutters.  The cutters that I've seen are usually stamped with their respective sizes.  As one can see, it was produced with several small parts that were not all necessary to use the plane during various operations.  You know what that means.  If the parts weren’t physically connected to the plane, the chance of them being permanently misplaced (lost) was fairly high.  If you’re considering one of these planes for your shop, do your homework.  In an effort to help you, not only did I photograph the parts, but I also included pictures of the original instruction manual (that was in the box with the plane) so its parts could be identified and the plane’s functions could be described.  Sometimes it’s easier if Stanley tells you how to operate the plane, and what parts to use during various operations, versus me trying to do it and then confusing the heck out of you.  In Stanley #50 (part 2) and possibly (part 3), I’ll set the plane up and try to show you generally how it functions.

Jim C.                 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:23:40 AM by Jim C. »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #538 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
An amazing story and what a great thing he did. I'm sure he would be happy to know you gave it a good home and are sharing it with others who appreciate good quality tools. Love your posts.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #539 on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »
An amazing story and what a great thing he did. I'm sure he would be happy to know you gave it a good home and are sharing it with others who appreciate good quality tools. Love your posts.

Hi gibson,

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm really glad to know that you've been enjoying the thread.   I hope you'll  keep coming back, and if you feel like it, occasionally post a few pictures of planes from your "hoard."

About that #50.... The circumstances under which I ended up with that plane is still one of the biggest mysteries I've ever experienced, and at the same time, probably the single nicest thing a total stranger has ever done for me.  I have a few other planes in my collection that came with some good back stories which I'll eventually get to, but that #50 was really one of kind.  Over the years, I've just wondered WHY.  I NEVER handle that plane without thinking about that gentleman.  As odd as it might sound, and while I was thrilled to receive the plane, once I digested what had happened and as I played things back in my head, parts of the incident bought on feelings of regret, and well, sadness I guess.  I never got the man's name, we didn't shake hands, and I didn't even get to say "thank you." What still seems to stick with me was his fragility.  I got the feeling that perhaps he wasn't in the best of health, and when he pointed to the plane in my hands and told me to take care of it, the words didn't seem to come easy to him, like he was getting choked up.  Then he just drove away.  I can't help but wonder what happened to that man and I always wonder why he did what he did.  Needless to say, in some ways, I treasure that particular plane like no other in my collection.

Jim C.